not a chicken!!! warning dialup pics page 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bawkadoodledoo, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i have a super tiny "chicken" that i think is an old english game bantam.. her name is Quailbottom AKA Quaily. while i was holding her i took my hand off, mind you she's as tiny as a full grown serama at this stage.. so i was standing about 30 feet from the chicken tractor where quaily and friends live. she takes flight and keeps that altitude as she flies all the way to the tractor and IN!! mind you she flew like a finch or a robin... help!!! is that a chicken or a baby robin!!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a super tiny bantam here that I am fostering for my mom, and she can sure fly! She is about a year old and fits in my hand.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Can you post photos??? I'd love to see this little bird!! [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yes, do please share a pic, if you can catch it [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    chickens can fly a lot farther then most expect. the longest i've heard of a few times is them flying our whole barn. which is about.. maybe 500 feet?. i've heard of a lot longer, like some stories of chickens flying from my house to my aunts, (about a minute and half. maybe 2 minutes walking distance), just ours though. maybe they were special?

6. Bawkadoodledoo

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    will get pics of Miss Quaily later [​IMG]

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    pics of this non-flightless bird

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i love OEGBs, especially your variety but their hard to deal with for showing.. (its Spangle [​IMG] )

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Some bantams can fly quite well. My japanese bantam roo has been flying up and landing on my head since he was 3 weeks old and at 6weeks he's still small enough to fit in one hand. Maybe half the size of the one your holding. He's also flown from my computer monitor to land on my dog 10' across the room and flew 4' feet out and 3' up from my hand to crash into the side of the brooder trying to get back to his hen. I have no doubt when he's full grown he'll make 30' easy. He'll probably be up in the trees by then.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's so adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by