Not a dark brahma, but what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snozzle, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I got a few chicks from TSC a week ago including a dark brahma pullet, or so I thought. I took a closer look at the peep yesterday and noticed a lot of orange feathers coming in on the chick. I didn't think dark brahmas have that color on them. The wings look kind of golden laced actually, though the feathers on the back remind me of the red color on my mille fleurs. The peep has feathered feet and is quite heavy set. I can't tell what the comb is, it's a bit narrow to be a pea comb, but it's not defined enough to tell if it's a pea or single comb, the one on the light brahma I got the same day is a lot wider. I'm just wondering, could I have a cochin instead of a brahma or maybe a new color of brahma? They came from Mt Healthy I believe. I would be excited if it turned out to be a cochin, I wish I would have gotten a few more if that's what it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm, The marking remind me of golden laced chicks, how heavily feathered are it's legs? brahma's legs are less feathered than cochins, but both come in a laced pattern. The comb, that I can see looks single....
    edited to say MTN hatchery doesn't sell cochins.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    About the same feathering as the light one, but you never know with hatchery birds. I'm not 100% sure that's where they got them from, I know their bantams came from there

4. salt and pepper

is looks like it has a single comb, so it might be a cochin.

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    It has the same feathering as a light or buff brahma. My guess is buff. You have a beautiful chickie!

6. salt and pepper

[​IMG]
    buff brahma chicks

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Oh that may be what she is then, yay they are pretty and don't seem as common as the light ones. Do their wings usually look like they are laced at that age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by