Not a good day....Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Black Feather, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Uhg, I’m sooo cranky right now. It was such a good day too until this afternoon. Our farrier came up to do our horses feet. Normally this is a pleasant experience, but today was a bit different. First off, nothing bad happened for the most part, this is more a rant/request for advice.

I have a German Shepherd dog that is aggressive toward other dogs. I make it abundantly clear to everyone that there are NO DOGS ALLOWED at my place. My dog is also getting a bit old and arthritic being nearly ten years old now. I go out to meet my farrier, and she has let her dog out of her truck and it’s running around the horse barn. I’m absolutely livid, but keep it under wraps. I had only just made a split second decision to leave my own dog in the house a second before. If I had let her out there would have been a dust up between the two dogs. I’ve told my farrier that there are no dogs on the property and only make an exception for her because she said she would leave the dog in the truck when she comes up here. She has asked in the past if I would allow the dogs to meet because her dog is just sooo friendly and loves all other dogs, to which I have without questions said NO! MY dog is NOT friendly with other dogs.

What the heck is wrong with people? When I told her that the dog should not be out because of my dogs reaction she ARGUED with me and made excuses! Her excuses were along the lines of “it would have been my fault and I would pay the vets bills etc. etc. etc.” This thing is, I don’t want to deal with ‘after’ possibilities. My dog is not young, what if she had hurt her hip or pulled a joint? Do you think she would heal very well at her age? Probably not. This also does not in any way take into account that I have my chickens on the property, and that is BIG reason number two why there are no dogs allowed on my property. It only takes a second for someone’s wonderful dog to turn into a hunter….we on this board all know this is true, and does happen.

So, instead of apologizing and putting her dog back in the truck, she argued with me. I was so mad I had to go in the house and let my mother stay with her (the family keeps horses on the property and they come to help out when extra work like farrier visits need to be done). At the end of the visit she apologizes to my mother when I wasn't around and I catch the tail end of the conversation…something about “don’t throw rocks if you live in a glass house.” What the heck is that supposed to mean? She’s right, no one’s perfect, but too much could have gone horribly wrong by her letting her mutt run loose on my property.

Am I wrong to be angry? I don’t want her dog or my dog to get hurt if they get into a fight, and I want to keep my chickens safe. It’s a simple rule that I make perfectly clear....what is wrong with people that they feel entitled to do what they want anyway??

[​IMG]

Urban Coyote

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What the heck is wrong with people? When I told her that the dog should not be out because of my dogs reaction she ARGUED with me and made excuses! Her excuses were along the lines of “it would have been my fault and I would pay the vets bills etc. etc. etc.”

If I was told that I would be so po'd! Why take a chance, when you obviously know how your dog will react, and take a chance on him getting hurt. Who cares if she would pay for the vet bills, its not worth the dog getting hurt.

sorry if this doesnt make sense. i have a cold right now and am out of it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    unacceptable. she was highly unprofessional. it doesn't even matter about your dog having issues with other dogs. it comes down to poor manners, being selfish and the arguing was just proof that she is immature in that area.

get a new farrier.

too bad that the experience happened. [​IMG]

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

You have every right to be mad! I totally understand.

I live on my mother and father in laws farm. (No they dont live here) We take care of it. But every single time they come over they bring around 4 dogs with them!!!!!! And they let them chase my birds...and thinks it funny! The one dog killed on of my pheasants. My MIL laughed and said isnt that funny? I thought she was too small to kill anything. (She has yorkies and he hubby has a mini Australian Shepard) So.......yeah.....I feel for you!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree, totally unacceptable. If you say no dogs on your property, no means no. You don't even need an excuse! It's your property. She is not being reasonable. I'm sure that if you or I were told not to bring our dogs, we wouldn't even question it, just not bring the dogs.

6. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Honestly, I'm absolutely livid. I don't get this angry very often, but I am now. I will take some time to cool off and then think of what to do next.

It's not just my decision to make about the farrier. There are four horse on the property and only one is mine, although I am the sole caretaker of the farm and all the animals on it 90% of the time.

I just don't get it. It's a simple request, and not hard to understand. I keep running through the "what if's" in my mind.

7. SpunkyChicken

SpunkyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I am not a dog person AT ALL, and I think part of what makes me resent them so much is how irresponsible, clueless, and obnoxious dog owners can be. She had a lot of nerve to argue about HER dog on YOUR property, sheesh! "I'll pay the vet bills"?? Um, why don't you just drop it, lady; it's not the end of the world if your dogs don't meet up! There are OTHER dogs on the planet that your mutt can become best friends with!!!

People these days [​IMG]

On a side note... are you getting a new farrier? lol

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Totally unacceptable. Her argument was probably her feeling a bit embarrassed. Either way, I wouldn't have her back, maybe she would get it then when it affects her pocketbook.

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I've inlaws who don't give a hoot about our house rules. Few years ago they came over to visit and brought their dog. My Aunt was visiting from New Mexico, has asthma, and allergic to dogs. I told them they couldn't bring their huge over weight chocolate lab in, because 1) Aunt with allergies and 2) I had a new cat in the house and she didn't like dogs.

They told ME oh it will be fine, she won't hurt anything. EXCUSE ME? It's NOT fine! You don't bring your dog to my place and expect to make the rules!

I'm sorry your farrier was so rude. I'd be mad, too.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    No, you are not out of line to be angry. But being angry isn't productive. Call her soon,
    RE-explain the rules in detail, and and just tell her look, I know your dog is a great dog, but don't ever do that again. Don't apologize. You have no reason to. Just be reasonable and lay out the rules. Keep in mind that YOU are paying her, not the other way around. Don't want to lose a farrier, so be polite.

Ignore the last comment, you didn't hear the context and it's irrelevant anyway.

Put up some signs at the entrance to the property, enough to discourage people from bringing their dogs, but not enough to alarm law enforcement. Then enforce the rules, nicely and firmly.

All 3 of my big dogs are agressive- if someone shows up, and they are outside in their fenced area, I warn people to stay away. If they insist, I tell them they need to leave since they are not willing respect our policies. Lost a few "friends" that way. We don't miss them.

The main thing is to not get so angry that reason flies out the window. Deal with the situation as it comes, and don't let it eat at you. You are 100% justified in enforcing the rules on your property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by