Not a good day

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Minniechickmama, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It started out to be a hectic one, but what is new with 3 kids around, right?
    So, I finally get out to do chores and let everyone loose to graze and craze. Well, I have noticed the last two mornings that my Partridge Cochin hen has went running right out of the pasture and over to some trees across the yard. So, this morning, I followed her to see if she was hiding eggs or something. Well, there was nothing, but then she came flying right back like something spooked her. I sure hope it is NOT a fox or coyote in the corn field! But it could very well be. I then saw a bunch of feathers scattered, and upon closer examination, it was blue feathers and fluffy, and the only one fitting that description was my Blue Cochin pullet I hatched this spring. I looked and there was Beckett (her beau and hatchmate) all alone in the yard. The two were inseparable. So, I was down one bird. She was the only Blue I had for that pen, the rest are Black, and now I have too many boys for the girls. Crapper!
    Well, then I am walking through and noticed one of my Splash Orp cockerel's tail was pecked clean off. Double crapper! He has always been pecked at by the others, but nothing like this. Must be some of the blood feathers got popped off in the pen last night and they just pecked it right off this morning. That meant, time to go say goodbye to yet another bird today. If it was just pecked a little, I would have sprayed it with Blue Kote and left it to heal, but they pecked it down so they bone was sticking out. How gross is that? I know why that happens, by the way. I know they are a little crowded in their overnight pen, which is why they all get let out all day. I am just getting the final touches on the new house done for them all to have their separate pens.
    I hate days like this.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Bout all you can do is keep your fingers crossed till the new house is done. I dread the day I find a pile of feathers. I know it's coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by