Not a good drake to hen ratio? Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hogan14, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Hogan14

Hogan14 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi so I'm new to keeping ducks and I want to get to the root of the problem with my ducks. I have two females and two drakes. All of them are Muscovies and one of the males is a mallard. I have them living in heated coop with lots of room to move around. They aren't super happy because I live in Canada and there is a lot of snow so they no longer want to be outside. They all used to get along so well. There are two levels in the coop and when I went in they used to all be sitting on the top level together, Now, however, two of the bonded pair are always sitting on the bottom level while my other bonded pair sit on the top level. My male mallard will not let my male muscovy walk down to the bottom level where all the food and water is. He just attacks him until my Muscovy runs back up the ramp. So now I have food and water on both levels, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. I was hoping to purchase two Muscovy hens in the spring. But in thinking I may have to do it now. Do you think that purchasing two more females might help? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I keep them as pets and I'm very worried for their well being. If anyone could offer me some advice it would be much appreciated.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    First off 2 more muscovy females is not a bad idea for the Muscovys drakes usually each male has a group of 2 to 3 girls to himself to avoid fighting .

For your mallard get another mallard derived breed . Muscovys are a totally different species. Every other domesticated breed of duck is mallard derived( came from a mallard ) ( this is not counting any type of teal or mandarin duck which too are there own species)

3. Hogan14

Hogan14 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    That is a very good idea and I didn't think of that before. I am picking up two Rouen hens tomorrow for my mallard. I hope that having some more ducks other than Muscovies will help his behaviour. Thank you for the response.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Anytime I love to help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by