Not a good place for an air cell - Will he live? Picture

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hennypenny99, Apr 21, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I was candling my eggs last night and found this. [​IMG] There is definately a live chick inside because I can see it moving around in there but the air cell is on the side of the shell. Do you think it can live through hatching? Should I just lie this egg with the air cell facing up during lockdown? Poor baby....

[​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I bet he will grow to full term & then not make it out of the shell.

The air cell is needed when he starts to pip - this is where he breathes before poking a hole in the shell. With it on the wrong side his head wont be where the air is.

3. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    you can try to prop it up in something like and egg carton cup to keep the big end up during the remainder of incubation as opposed to keeping it on its side. this may allow the air cell to shift to the right place.

4. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Shoot! It's not even a little to the top. It's right smack dab in the center. I didnt have an egg turner for the first week or so but they have been in one since last Sunday. I hope the air cell will move up a little on its own. I still have a week before lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by