Not a Good Start for a Sunday PICS MIGHT BE DISTURBING.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cornfedhogedito, Nov 2, 2014.

1. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    I let the girls out and all seemed good until the last one popped out with a messed up lower back and tail. I have cleaned and pulled bleeding feathers. What else should I do? I have some blue coat(sp?) on the way. until then I am controlling the bleeding from the flesh with flour.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ms Gertie, & my wife and I thank you all.

2. cornfedhogedito

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    forgot to mention that that she is new to the coop, but the other 2 new girls are fine. They have been splitting the run with my other 3 for 3 weeks. then I let them all run together for a week, the last week i have been puttting them into the coop at night and this is what I woke up to today. My original flock of 3 are 8 months old and the new 3 are now about 4 months.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    That poor chicken! Did the other hens do that? Chickens can turn ruthless if they ever draw blood. Keep her wounds clean and you might want to give her some antibiotics to keep it from getting infected. Your local feed store should have some. I wouldn't let her back with the other chickens until she heals up or they will keep pecking at the wound. Hope she gets better fast.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Don't apply Blu-kote to a wound like that. Just let it get air and keep the bird separated on clean, dry premises. Use vitamin-probiotic soluble powder in her drinker 3 days a week to help cope with stress. As the wound heals you need to keep flies away from it, so a light coating of triple antibiotic and even a spritz of permethrin spray around the wound, not directly on it, will keep flies away.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  5. cornfedhogedito

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    Not sure if it has the hens or the roo or all 3.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Do you have different breeds with that hen or are they all the same? If so what breeds are they and how many? Were they all raised together?

7. cornfedhogedito

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    The "original" flock is(2 and a Roo) New Hampshire (8 months) and the new girls are Easter Eggers (5 ~ months) all hens I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by