Not a good start :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Dec 23, 2010.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Two of my hens are sharing hatching duty for eggs that are due tomorrow. 2 hours ago there were 5 eggs left, I went down to the supermarket and came back to find the body of a chick beside the nest [​IMG]
    Being a newbie I'm not sure what to make of this. The girls have squashed a few eggs in the competition to get the best nesting position, but have never been nasty to each other, they use to be a bit nasty to my 2 Isa Brown hens when they first came along but after a few weeks of gentle introduction they all got along well.
    It did look like the body had been pecked, ahhhhhh so many questions. Do you think the egg broke and they only picked at the body because it wasn't alive/moving? It was still moist and didn't look fully developed (remembering I know nothing so it could well have been ready). Do you think they maybe breaking the eggs on purpose? Could this happen to the remaining 4 eggs?
    I'm so nervous for the other eggs now [​IMG]

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    It may have hatched and succumbed to Hypothermia if the hens weren't sitting on it.... [​IMG]

3. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    It is both their first attempt at being mothers so I wasn't expecting a perfect hatch - but am worried why it appears they have picked at the body [​IMG] I'm hoping it doesn't become a habit or their mothering days are numbered!
    I'm in Australia and its currently 20 degrees celcius - but I take it new born chicks still need quite a high temperature for their first few days - correct?
    Fingers crossed for the other 4 [​IMG]

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Chicks need about 90-95 degrees F (32-38 Degrees C) or so for the first week, you can then drop the temp a few degrees each week thereafter until the gain their feathers. Once they have their feathers, then they don't need additional heat....

I'm no expert, but I have learned quite a bit from here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by