1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not a good thing for me to go and buy chickens at a breeder!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KDbeads, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I drive out for an hour and 20 one way but I'm still in Central Texas, central TX is huge BTW, you can fit small states in it. I finally get to this little place at the end of a road and have to drive down a graveled driveway. On one side of the driveway were all kinds of chicken tractors for sale, some had chickens already in them. I get out with my cat carriers and follow the man behind the shop where there are so many different chickens, ducks and geese.
    Out of the corner of my eye I see the cutest little banty rooster and have to do a double take, he wasn't as big as the banties I remembered growing up. He had a little ego too, stalking me up and down the fence until I'm too far away from him. I look down and at my feet is another teensy chicken, seriously even smaller than the roo. The guy told me they were OEGBs, which made sense to a degree, but I really don't remember banties being this tiny.
    While he was rounding up the birds I bought I caught sight of a poof of white and thinking it was a little teacup dog of some sort I reach down to pet it and got pecked... it was a silkie. Never have I actually seen a silkie or a frizzle but they apparently liked me enough to follow me around.

Had I room and money the 2 banties would have come home with me, possibly even the silkie just for the 'weird' factor of looking like a dustmop puppy.

OMG..... I think I've been infected with chicken fever [​IMG]

2. EAST TEXAROO

EAST TEXAROO Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Larue
    It happens to the best of us. I went to a ranch here in east texas to pick up a rir roo that was free and it ended up costing me $60 bucks because I saw some Jersey Giant hens that I couldnt resist. Its cheaper to breed your own than going somewhere where there are a bunch of chickens.

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    These were a b-day gift for hubby though, mine are in the bator. Unlike me, he's not patient [​IMG]

I still think I should go back and get the dustmop [​IMG]

4. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I think so too!

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Must resist the dustmop...... must resist........ Maybe once the run is finished and the coop is enlarged and we know how many of my eggs are female......

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Get a couple of dust mops! [​IMG]

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

just one dustmop??? heck, i've got three and KNOW i could squeeze in another two...or ten.

8. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Go for the dust mop. You will never go back to a regular peep again [​IMG]. And wait until you see all the colors they come in. Then you will need one of each. Did I say one? I meant several of each.

9. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Nope.... not going to get a dustmop, don't even like the dog varieties of dustmops, hence why I have a dane. Nope...... Can't do it....

But once we get everything built and set up...... Maybe in the spring....

10. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:That's what I keep telling myself except for me its maybe once I get my three hens through winter successfully, then next spring.........must resist.......I WANT A SILKIE!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by