Not a good weekend at all, was in a major car accident

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
Well, this wasn't how I was planning to spend my birthday, but I guess I don't really have a choice, do I? On Sunday afternoon my neighbor called me up and asked me if I wanted to go to the store with her. I said yes, and at 2pm we left. We got some groceries and then stopped at McDonald's so I could buy some lunch to bring home to my family. Then we got back on the road. To get from our little town to the next biggest town, you have to take a highway. For those in my local area, we were driving Rt. 41, going home from shopping in Attica. Well, there's this curve where you are suppose to drop your speed from 50 down to 40 for the curve. You're basically blind until you come around that last turn in the road, and it's at this point where you can then increase your speed back up to 50. Well, my neighbor was driving, it was her car, and her teenage son was in the backseat, right behind me. I was sitting in the front passenger seat, enjoying a McFlurry and hanging on to the pops that came with our meals. We approached that curve and my neighbor dutifully reduced her speed, and as we came around the last curve, she realized that there was a blue car in OUR lane, but she realized it a little too late. We swerved to the right, right OFF the road, but he still hit us. Our car spun and he hit us again! We had initially been heading North on 41, but after he hit us, we ended up facing South. We nearly hit the fence of this property but ended up about 3 yards in front of it. The other car remained in the Southbound lane facing South, about a 1/4 mile up the road from where we came to a stop. My neighbor's son screaming from the back seat brought me out of my initial shock. Both of the front seats had slammed backwards and his leg was pinned behind my seat. I managed to unseatbelt myself and pull my seat forward enough for him to unpin his leg. A couple who had been driving behind us stopped to help us, and the gentleman helped me out of the car. We got my neighbor's son out, and then my neighbor crawled across my seat to get out because her door was pinned shut. The state police, the local sheriff's department, the EMT's, they were all there. The other driver even got out of his car and walked all the way down to where we were. He had the audacity to stand at the foot of my neighbor's car and GLARE at us! Never once did he apologize! Then at some point me disappeared, and even the police were mad about that. We were all asked if we needed to go to the hospital, but our adrenaline was up and we all declined. However, I knew something was wrong as soon as I tried to climb up into the tow truck. I couldn't lift my right leg, and it felt really weak. Another neighbor came and picked us up, and when I got home I got into a hot bath because I was completely covered in the pops I had been holding, and I was soaking wet. My neighbor called me and asked how I was feeling, and I didn't feel so good. She said her son's ankle was black and blue and there was a knot on his leg, behind his knee, so we all decided to take the trip to the ER. After 4 1/2 hours and countless x-rays my neighbor was diagnosed with a sprained back, her son was diagnosed with a sprained knee and ankle, and was put in an ankle splint for the next 8 weeks, and I was diagnosed with a sprain in my upper back, but the doctor was very concerned because of the weakness in my right leg. My lower back was tender, so he suspected a bulging disc. Said I need to see an Orthopaedic doctor to find out for sure. We were all send home. Only I got prescriptions though. I still have to fill them though, so I've been trying to take ibuprofen for the pain. It's not working though. I'm just thankful that we all survived! Both cars were completely totaled. We found out that the other driver does have insurance, however his insurance might not cover our medical. Dunno what I should do. Do I sue? Do I let it go? I can't sit or walk for extended periods, it hurts too much. And what if I do have a damaged disc? I'm currently being covered by my neighbor's insurance, and it only covers to $10,000. It bothers both of us that he never even apologized. My neighbor saw him a moment before he hit us, and she said his head was down, like he was reaching for something on the floor. He did not have his eyes on the road. I'm very frustrated over this whole ordeal. Not sure what to do next. My birthday is in 2 days, and I'll probably be laid up in bed at least til then, if not til later. I wish I could go fill my scripts, I need them filled! I just wanted to say, I have NOT dropped off the face of the planet, I've just been laid up, lol. I'm going to go back and lay down now, my back hurts too much and my leg is completely numb again. What a way to celebrate a birthday!
th.gif

No, he didnt leave at the scene of accident. All of them refused medical treatment until later. the driver that hit them has insurance but it may not cover their medical expenses.

Well if you have all the reports who was at fault, then the one that caused the accident should be the one to pay for the medical expenses.

hugs.gif
Sorry to hear this happened to you and the neighbors. Hope all of you get better real soon.
The guy who was at fault should pay the medical expenses.
Have a Happy Birthday.

Chris, PM sent. Ps, give those daughters of yours a big hug from me
smile.png
Tell your ma I said howdy!

I sure will Boyd. And I PM'd you back. Thanks for the well wishes. I got a call yesterday from my neighbor's insurance and they said that the guy hadn't even filed a claim. But my neighbor did! She did it first thing Monday morning. The insurance agent I spoke to said I'm covered under my neighbor's insurance up to $10,000, which was a bit of a relief. Then my neighbor called me today and left a message saying that her insurance agent contacted her today and told her that the guy that hit us WAS NOT EVEN INSURED! I'm calling the hospital in the morning to give them the insurance contact info and to find out when my ortho appointment is suppose to be. I do feel much better, except for my lower back and my leg. My daughter was helping me put on my nightgown last night and she noticed a small bruise on my lower back. Not sure how I would have bruised since I was in the seat and had my seatbelt on. My lower back is still super tender and the leg is still going numb. I stood up for a shower today and had pains shooting down it. I'm really hoping it's not that bad. I just want to get the ortho appointment done and over with. I feel bad for my neighbor though. She contacted a lawyer to find out if she should go after this guy (before she found out he didn't have insurance), and the lawyer told her that for the extent of hers and her son's injuries, it wasn't worth it, it would just be a waste of time and money. She didn't include me in that inquiry because she was going to have me contact him independently, until he told her that. Course, if my back is damaged, I'll be contacting that lawyer. I believe that this guy should be held completely accountable for what he's done. It's not fair that he went and injured 3 innocent people, but now one of those people has to figure out where she's going to get the money to get a new car. I keep having nightmares, but not about the accident exactly. What I keep having nightmares about is the fact that my younger DD has begged to go with that day, but my neighbor had a box in the other rear passenger seat, so I had told her no, not this time. My daughter did not push the subject. Instead she ran off across the yard to play. If I had said yes, she would have been sitting in the seat directly where the other car hit, and I suspect that she would have been seriously injured. That thought scares me terribly. She has since said that she doesn't want to get in a car to go anywhere again. She's as frightened as I am. I'm going to call my neighbor later and see what the next step in this whole mess should be. What's even scarier is the fact that if, by some miracle we had been able to avoid him hitting us, he would have plowed head first into the elderly couple driving directly behind us. It gives me chills to even think about the whole accident. It was terrifying, and I just want to move on with my life, and for the fear and nightmares to stop. I've never been in a car accident before, and God willing, I'll never be in another one again.

BTW Boyd, how are Kelly and the baby doing? Good I hope. Despite all this you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I saw your pics on FB. He's beautiful. Congratulations!

Glad to read you all are alive. I would sue the driver who caused the accident...if he even has insurance.Sue him even if he does not. He might have been texting.I really dislike cell phone drivers! All focus should be on the road while driving. I just don't get why everyone does not think doing other things while driving will not distract a person?!?!?!

Speedy healing!

Is it illegal to drive in your state without insurance? The man could face some hefty fines or loss of driving privileges for a while.I know taking the license away will not stop him from driving,but it is one step closer to the guy going to jail. If he has a house put a lean on it for medical bills.

We pay extra on our car insurance to cover in case the other drive does not have insurance. Uninsured motorist I think it is called.All I know is we pay A LOT.

In our state of Illinois, it is illegial to drive without insurance but people still do it!

And just passed the law, Gov. Quinn signed that texting is also against the law WHILE driving. However you still can text if you pull over and park OR at a stop light. I think they ought to rewrite that down to pull over and park and you can text, period. Not a stop lights because some drivers would still text when they are accelarating when the light turned green. They do NOT put it down.
somad.gif

We dont have cell phones but in near future, we will consider that. As for me, I need to text all the time because I am hearing impaired.

I haven't talked to my neighbor that I was in the accident with yet, but I'm going to call her tonight. I want to find out if she is planning to go after the other driver or not. I suspect that she will because he has no insurance, so she'll probably go after him for the cost of the car. I'll ask her when she gets home from work tonight.

Back
Top Bottom