Not a good year for me and my girls

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lady chicken whisperer, Jan 31, 2009.

1. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    I always get extremely emotional when I lose a bird, and normally, that doesnt happen too often. This winter has been a different story. Ive lost two of my young girls in less than a month. The first died tragically after choking on a mouse. I just went out to check on the birds and found my standard blue cochin in the corner, dead. It doesnt look like there was a struggle, as there werent a bunch of feathers laying around, but it looks as if her rear had been eaten into. I would think that a weasel would go after my other birds too.....but after looking, im not so sure what got her. One of my other birds had blood caked around her nose and a little on her chest feathers, but none on her beak. My birds were always a little picky to eachother....but I couldnt imagine her laying in the corner letting the others peck her to death....

Im hysterical right now [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am so so sorry for your loss

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Oh jeesh! Im so sorry for your loss. If they are pecking at each other, might be time to hang a few pecjable treats for them, to occupy thier time. Hope thre are no more losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by