Not a pet... but what can we do about DOGS!??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have a LOT of lavender on my property. Dogs roaming the neighborhood pee on them and kill large areas of the plant on one side.

I've tried placing big pots around the worst plant so the urine can't reach the leaves, but I have too many lavender plants for that to be really successful.

Is there any substance I can sprinkle out there to deter them from going on my plants?

thanks!

cb19

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    When we lived in Texas, we bought some plants from the garden center that deterred dogs from using the gardens for their outhouse. Or there was something you could get at the garden center that was garlic and something else.

But right now I can't think of the name of the plants ...... Dogbane, maybe?

I wouldn't want to put any kind of chemical down - chickens might eat it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Hot wire?

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Someone told me me Irish spring soap cut up. It's on my to do list to try. We have a sidewalk and a hedge along it. Enough said [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. Try sling shots or bb gun, maybe paint guns, call the local pet store and ask them if they have anything that will deter dogs, maybe if they go home painted the owners will keep them shut up.marrie

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    The lavender is away from the area where we'll have chickens, so substances used would be safe. We don't have our chickens yet, but hopefully in the next week!

The dogs come around at night or very early in the a.m. It's like the owners let them out before work and they roam around, then go back home because we never
    see them during the day!

I did see a single dog last night in the yard next door (we have no fence between), I yelled at it but it just looked at me. Too far away for the hose I was holding to reach. He was pretty old and slow, peeing on a rose bush - a blond lab I think.

I'll give the Irish Spring a go - seems like the easiest thing to try.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    give fox urine a go. works great. it stinks to high heavens, but it works because the dogs think there is fox about.

sometimes fiendish thingies need fiendish tactics!

also, motion detectors that make noise can work.

if you see them, try throwing a tin pop can with a handful of coins near them. they don't like surprise sounds.

hope you get it straightened out...lavender is lovely!

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the stuff we used at my moms was name by Preen. It came in a yellow and green container.

9. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    I've also heard that sprinkling your plants with cayenne pepper works. My dogs don't pee on anything without giving it a good sniff first. I can't imagine that a snort of hot pepper would feel very good...... [​IMG]

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    The funniest thing I've ever seen to deter dogs was this little motion sensor water sprayer. It attaches to your hose, and when it senses something about, it aims and sprays water at it at velocity. [​IMG] My dogs would be outta there. There are also scat mats, but I don't know if they have those for outdoor use...and you'd need a power source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by