Not a pip, no movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninja, Sep 7, 2016.

1. ninja

ninja Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Valley Center, Ca
    Day 29. Indian Runner eggs.... The lone silkie egg I had with them hatched out yesterday morning just fine. I was hatching for the ducks so, humidity has been 50%-65% (did my best to keep up raised) and during lock down up to 75-80%. Next time, I am doing a dry hatch... I didn't read about that til I was already into it.

I did the float test and there is no sign of life.. I left them for about 45 seconds in still water. Guessing the would be long enough to see the water ripple. They were moving at lock down when I got rid of the eggs that didn't make it... Air cell looks ok? About 20% or so of the egg.

Do I break em open and look? Or wait longer? I am scared it's going to mess my head and heart up but I really want to see what they would have looked like :( And, what the heck happened.... My first duck hatch.

2. ninja

ninja Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Valley Center, Ca
    Carefully opened each on as I read about doing... they are all dead. Nobody broke through the air sac. They were all in the correct position. Was the membrane too thick to break through?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would consider running the humidity a little lower for the first 25 days. Duck eggs can be incubated with the low humidity method the same as chicken eggs. Many duck hatchers I know, use the low humidity running about 30% up to lockdown and then raise it to 65% or higher. The key is monitoring the air cells. I can give you my humidity link and a graphic for how big the air cells should be at what point for duck eggs as the article is written for chicken hatching. The humidity link is: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity and a duck egg pictorial for air cell size is:

[​IMG]

When you did the eggtopsies was there excess moisture in the egg?

4. ninja

ninja Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Valley Center, Ca
    Ohhhh yea. The air cell was between day 21 and 26. I didn't break the membrane around the chicks to see moisture because it freaked me out... Maybe next time I will have the nerve. My hands were sweating so badly.

Now at least I better understand the air cell. Unfortunately at their expense... I appreciate the info!!!!! I will try the next run at the Rh you suggested. And check air cells every week... I am sure you're right about the Rh being too high and they drowned before being able to pip. It makes sense with their development that I could see.

Thank you so much for the response!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

You are welcome. Many people can't do the eggtopsies. It's understandable. It can be a great help though in the case of a compromise hatch because it can point you in the right direction, (or leave you with more questions.) I hope you have a much better hatch next time. Let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by