Not a predator - rather a killer!

sewingca

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
My neighbors have been losing chickens to a killer that takes the head and leaves the rest. Last night we forgot to close up our girls. I will regret this for a long time. The killer went into the coop, took our Brahma's head and left her dear body. There were feathers everywhere in the coop. I don't know of any animal that would do this. Any real predator would take meat for babies or self, but not this killer. My DH thinks it's a bobcat (we have those), but why leave the body untouched and take the head only? I'm one sad chicken mom. Every one of our chickens has a name; this one was Mary.

45265_mary.jpg

It is a weasel. That is exactly what they do and they are very difficult to get rid of. Their favorite food is mice and rats but when that is low they will take the easy kill like chickens. They are cold blooded killers and kill for sport.
barnie.gif
They will get into a rat den, kill the rats and line the den with the rat's fur. Mean little buggers!

Only defense is to keep the chickies locked up tight at night (they rarely strike in the day) Good luck!
smile.png

Even if you have never seen the weasel (you rarely do) they are still around (and they only eat the head of a chicken...). One family of weasels will inhabit a 65 acre farm.
sad.png

Last edited:
Do we have weasels in Florida? I'm glad to know that all the vermin y'all listed are night creatures. We don't free range like our neighbors. Our girls are fenced in about a 40' by 40' natural area. At night, they are in the coop with a "patio" that is fenced around and overhead with buried 2"x6" so the night security is great. Of course, except when we are negligent (aka stupid!), and don't close it up. Thanks all for the replies. It will be a while before we forgive ourselves.
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom