Not a recipe but instead a bad egg!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Hatcherguy86, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Hatcherguy86

Hatcherguy86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    Jennings County, IN
    My wife was cooking breakfast this morning and all of the sudden I hear " Honey, We have a problem" .... My reply was " Yeah it sure smells like it".. SO to say the least breakfast was cancelled and the house opened to air out while we went to the local eatery and got some bisquits and gravy. That was the first "BAD" Egg we have had. It was prolly around a month old and I have had eggs that were 4 or more months old that were fine. We tossed the whole dozen just to be safe.

Has anyone else ever had a "BAD" Egg?

Just an FYI all our eggs are washed sanitized and coated with sunflower oil for preservation.

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Only from the store.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Instead of tossing all the eggs, do the float test to check them. If they float, toss them. If they sink, eat them.

4. Hatcherguy86

Hatcherguy86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    Jennings County, IN
    that's a good idea

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    You will probably still want to get in the habit of cracking your eggs into a little bowl separately to make sure they are good.

6. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Also, its better not to wash your eggs until right before you use them. Nothing preserves an egg like the hen's natural bloom. If I get an especially muddy football or a poopy egg, I just set them aside for the dogs, or wash and use them right away.

7. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Sunflower oil? Is that standard practice? Will other oils work to help preserve like avocado, coconut or olive?
    I have not gotten my first egg yet. The only thing I know about eggs is directions to the local commercial farmers drive through. LOL & I can cook them up pretty well. My ducks are only 5 weeks old so I have a while before I get anyeggs.

8. Sid Post

Sid Post Chillin' With My Peeps

Coating eggs is really only for long term room temperature preservation. Pushing crud through the shell in general is a good way to have them go bad. Just dry brush them off IF needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by