NOT a roo/missing feather issue but PECKED! Caught in the act!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I can NOT figure out why these 4 Marans are missing tail feathers and a bunch of feathers around the top of the tail area...in what I would call a hip or tail bone area if it were a human. They ARE his favorites, I dont see mites and I do occasionally see a single white bird picking at one or another. It started with one of them a few months ago and the tail feathers havent grown back. She looks to have 2 antennea on her rear. Now the other 3 Marans are ragged on this area and losing tail feathers also. Is it the roo doing this? They dont fight him. They are all hatched early Feb if age matters. Any ideas? Any photos of what this mounting problem looks like? The girls all like him and he seems to be a good gaurdian for them. I hope to keep him. I bought that blue kote stuff this morning hoping to keep the little pecking one away.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    PECKED! So I put blu kote on the sad looking areas to help heal them up and not ten minutes later I see the offending party with a purple beak! Then I saw her follow them around pecking some more. Doesnt look vicious...looks bored. I dunno what to do. They have a big flock block, lots of branches in the outdoor roost, 11 birds in room enough for 20, seriously researched diet...maybe she is just nuts or bratty! I can see just bald areas and some new growing feathers and some half broken feathers. Dang bird!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Try getting a beak break block, or a toilet paper role covered in peanut butter or a tasty treat.
    Something that will keep her occupied and her mind busy?

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Feather eating can be a sign of protein deficiency. You might try 'upping' their protein. I mix game bird feed in with my layer, about half and half. Also, if the blukot doesn't work, I will try pine tar. However, it is very difficult to work with. If you just have one that is pecking, try seperating her out for a couple of days. That will reset the pecking order. I hope things get better. I love chickens very much, but when you have a problem, it can be very hard to solve......Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by