Not a single duck is laying!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnconaMommy, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AnconaMommy

AnconaMommy Chirping

Aug 15, 2016
    Loveland, Colorado
    Hi friends. I have four female Cayugas, one female Rouen, and one unknown breed female (I rescued her from a farm as she had a broken leg and was about to be culled). They are all over ten months old now and have NEVER laid one single egg. They should have started last summer and didn't. I understand now it's winter and may not lay until spring, but seriously??? Especially when my friend and I bought our ducks together (same breeds) and all hers are laying, even now! Are they going to be freeloaders forever?!?! Our Anconas were drakes, so this time, we went all female as my hubby was sick of freeloader ducks...hahaha! Are we destined to be egg-less forever?

2. Mine are about the same age some are and some arent laying.

AnconaMommy likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you have a pond?..Possibly laying eggs in the water?..

AnconaMommy likes this.
  4. AnconaMommy

AnconaMommy Chirping

Aug 15, 2016
    Loveland, Colorado
    We have two small ponds...half drained for winter. I don't see the ducks even go near them, but they do take their baths in two little troughs we have. I change the water daily and have never seen an egg. We already have to scour the yard for chicken eggs as one of the hens likes to hide her eggs under leaf piles Would it help if I put some of the fake eggs in the coop, maybe? Or even some of the hens eggs?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Try some fake eggs or chicken eggs although the ducks might break a chicken egg since the shell aren't as hard as a duck egg. That may help give the some incentive. Are you feeding layer?

AnconaMommy likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    iamcuriositycat had a similar problem. Turns out there was a chemical leaching from the hose that suppressed egg laying.

What is their feed, what is their source of calcium?

Other animals around? I might get a game camera.

7. AnconaMommy

AnconaMommy Chirping

Aug 15, 2016
    Loveland, Colorado
    I had them on layer feed since they were five months old, but have now reverted back to regular non layer feed as I was told I could actually harm them by giving them so much calcium when they're not laying. Even.took away the oyster shell I was giving them.

8. AnconaMommy

AnconaMommy Chirping

Aug 15, 2016
    Loveland, Colorado
    They are very predator proof and the chickens are housed right next door. Plus my neighborhood has never seen a racoon, fox, or other predator around. Worst predators we have are owls, hawks, and bald eagles...but they're covered in multiple layers of chicken and hog wire. I had them on Nutrena layer feed, with crushed oyster shell, along with their grit. I had them on that food since they were five months old and have now taken them off and put them back on regular Nutrena flock feed and taken out the oyster shell because I heard that the layer feed and oyster could actually hurt them if they're not laying.

All my chickens have been laying...in fact my Silkie went broody and just hatched out some cute baby chicks last week. I think I may take Miss Lydia's advice and put either ping pong balls or chicken eggs in their coop house to see if anything happens. Should I start the layer feed again and the oyster shell?? I'd love it if I could as I'm now stuck having four huge trash cans. One with layer feed for the hens, one with starter feed for my Mama Silkie and her chicks, one for the all-flock food for the ducks, and one for their scratch grains, mealworms, and treats.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I am just saying how I feed my flock. I buy layer and broiler the broiler I buy is very similar to All flock I mix these together so my boys and non layers aren't getting an over abundance of calcium I leave oyster shell out year round and never see my females over eating it they only eat the OY when needed. I feed this mix year round. Since I do get some eggs over winter months.

If your close to a store like Holly Lobby or Michaels craft stores you maybe able to find fake eggs that look very real. Ducks would probably break a chicken egg with their weight and flat feet. My chickens have taken to golf balls but not sure my water fowl would.

AnconaMommy likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Local feed stores here carry ceramic eggs that seem to work well.

I feed my Buffs (drake, two ducks) Mazuri Waterfowl Breeder, mostly, with free choice oyster shell available.

The all girl flock gets mostly New Country Organic Layer (no corn, no soy). And free choice oyster shell, and a boost with calcium citrate occasionally, about 80 mg per duck.

AnconaMommy and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: