Not a single egg off my hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sophster1989, Jan 24, 2015.

1. sophster1989

sophster1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    Hi there I'm new to chicken keeping! I have one buff orpington and 2 brahama that I hatched from chicks! They are 8 months old and I haven't had a single egg? Am I not feeding them enough layers pellets? I thought it was to do with daylight hours but my friend has exactly the same and age and hers are still laying! They live wit my ducks so I wondered if this is putting then off? Thanks

2. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Some chickens are just slow starters. I have 3 Wyandottes that are 9 months old & only 1 has started laying.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Can't say for sure if it is something to do with the ducks but you never know. Maybe you just had a few late bloomers it happens, you could have a bunch of hands from the same hatch and one might start laying months after the others they're just all different... My Orpington's are over eight months old and I'm not even sure they're laying yet... The ducks are laying yet either... Lol.

4. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    Oh good ur in the same boat as me then! I've not had a single egg off anything lol!

5. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    Oh really, that's reassuring then. Thanks

6. hennible

I don't think my ducks will lay until it's really really spring here, possibly the same with the young Orpington's... My 1 1/2 year old and older girls are laying though...

7. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    I hope that's what it is! I've just worked out their 26 weeks so they are old enough now aren't they. I hope it's not cos of the ducks cos I don't know how is seperate them. I've tried it before but one seems to think it is a duck!

8. hennible

Lol.
    Are the chickens combs and wattles getting red? Are you seeing the chicken squatting?

9. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    Yeah their red! I've not seen them squatting no! What does that mean?

10. hennible

Well read combs etc means their mature the egg should come some time soon... Squatting behavior apparently occurs more often when there's no rooster present but it indicates also that they're getting ready to lay eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by