Not able to expand the flock :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Was looking at purchasing some silkie chicks and decide it was just to far to drive for just 4 chicks lol . Then decided on Silver Lace Wynadottes and the lady calls just as soon as I get ready to walk out the door and someone bought them all [​IMG] .

Just been a rough day lol

2. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Sorry you're having a bad day. You're not alone. Today started with one of my Easter Egger pullets crowing... he turned out to be a boy. That makes 2/4 Easter Egger pullets boys. Then I found a HUGE rabbit in my garden munching on my crops. Finally one of my production reds decided that she wanted to start eating eggs today... and this was all before noon. Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day for us both [​IMG]

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Tomorrow is another day. For some reason when things like that happen to me something better will show up and then I'm SOOO glad I didn't get the first one.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Quote:I wish I could lend you my little ferel kitty, Stella. Just about every morning she brings me a bunny part. I just don't tell her I throw her offering away. I give her some ice water and she is happy and I don't have bunnies in my garden!

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I am a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason... and rarely on my timetable.
    My first and only egg eater (hoping hoping) was one of my only losses to a predator -- just as I was trying to figure out what to do with her. She was also my only escape artist--even with clipped wings.. so fate.. well fate took care of my issues at the time

Just take a deep breathe.. chalk it up to not meant to be.. and trudge on. Your new chickens will be the prettiest and the friendliest chickens ever.

Shelly

6. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    Quote:the world would be a better place if everybody had your attitude.[​IMG]

7. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well lady with the wynadottes calls me back and tells me she has 8 just hatched chicks. Not sure I'm brave enough to handle 1 day old chicks. Placed a wtb ad hoping to get some calls. I'm guessing the big swap meet at Jacobs cave is hindering my buying locally.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Be patient. I hunted and hunted for my first chicks, I was impatient and once I decided I wanted chicks and was ready I wanted them then. As soon as I got them, within a few days there were tons of ads for chicks on craigslist. [​IMG]

9. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I've decided I want to go with a Heritage Breed for sure. Then I'm in a toss up for silkies/frizzles lol I want one or the other still trying to decide. I am also going to get 4-5 Adult birds for eggs being my Awol banties have moved on.

If nothing else it gives me time to think a bit of how I want to approach the chicken world [​IMG]

10. memiller123

memiller123 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I had a run of bad luck as well. Cocci took the lives of several of my chicks...all of our favorites of course. One of them was a gorgeous blue and brown ameracauna. And with this batch of chicks, we've ended up with 4 roos when we should have only had one. And now a predator of some sort has killed two of our adult hens...not one of the several nameless ones that we have...oh no, it had two kill two of our favorite hens. One was a lovely RIR who you could pick up and who laid me giant double yolker eggs.

Just a note of encouragement, though. When someone asks "how are you doing?" our first response is to point out the bad things that have happened to us. You say that you've been sick for two days last week, but forget about the five that you weren't sick. Our pastor has been hitting on that subject and he reminds us to look at each day for blessings around us and they quite often out number our troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by