Not about raising chicks but I've noticed this is the most active. . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LunaGirl, May 7, 2008.

1. LunaGirl

LunaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    and most helpful board.

I have a guinea that appears to have something in it's eye. We noticed that he was keeping his eye shut most of the time and when we went to apply some ointment to it we noticed that it appears there's something in his eye, not literally poking in his eye but under the lid.

Any suggestions/ideas?

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Hold him down and fluch it with water. You can use a syringe without a needle.

3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I would flush it with saline.. Ayr is a good brand of sterile saline solution. Saline is less irritating to the eye, because it's a balanced solution.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Hope your guinea is ok. [​IMG]

5. LunaGirl

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try flushing the eye when my boyfriend gets home. I can handle the guinea and work on him at the same time. I've also put in a call to the woman who got us started on chickens to see if she can take a look at him. Although I've been raising chickens/guineas for a couple of years I think of myself as a newbie at it and am always afraid I'm doing something wrong!

6. LunaGirl

Apr 14, 2008
    I just wanted to update on the guinea. We got a hold of him this afternoon, flushed his eye out and took a pair of tweezers and got out a pretty large (for a guinea's eye anyway) chunk of something. It may have been a piece of wood but we're not really sure. His eye is wide open now and he's doing great.

Thanks for the advice and concern.

7. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    [​IMG]

So glad he's doing better!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by