1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not adding heat in Mo. please tell me they will be okay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chicken People, Jan 12, 2011.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    This is my second year with chickens and last year we ran up bills heating and lighting coops! All my birds survived last night but tonight its gonna be colder! Please reassure me they will all be fine! I am so worried about my chickens tonight!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They'll be fine. My chickens - all of them, from the 13 lb. brahma rooster down to my tiny little silkies, were out playing in the snow until nearly dark tonight.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    They'll be fine. People raised chickens there before electricity. [​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

They'll be fine. Look up some of the Alaska threads on here... and they do fine there with no heat.

5. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri Out Of The Brooder

We have only one chicken. A rooster that strayed into our barn last summer. His coop is in the back of my 3-horse trailer (stored in our barn). His roost the front divider covered with a shipping quilt (folded thick) to keep his feet off the metal. The floor is covered with rubber mats beneath hay, 8" of wood shavings beneath his roost area.

I see evidence of his laying in the clean deep shavings, but have never found him there when I let him out in the morning. In the morning I find him roosting either on the divider/quilt or on top of the open bag of shavings stored in the trailer.

During the past few days I've found him nestled high up in the bales of stored horse hay in the barn since the snow is too deep for him to want to go outside. Seems to be doing fine.

Hope
    Kansas City, MO

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I water twice daily and collect eggs alot! I hope it rises above freezing soon! Tonight is supposed to be our coldest! I have LF breeds all the way down to bantams! Hope they all snuggle tonight!

7. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Quote:I think he needs some hens!

8. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    My coops are not heated and I live in SW Ohio. Routinely gets into the teens at night or colder. They have no artificial heat other than the waterer I just like to not worry about them having access to h2o all the time. Did you know that a chicken produces 35 btu's per hour. As long as they can cover up their toes. They will most definitely be good to go, no worries.[​IMG]

9. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Should have worried more about my pipes...they are frozen this morning!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That stinks. Sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by