NOt Again !!! baby chicks dying!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the1honeycomb, Apr 18, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    `I just purchased day old Americauna chicks. It took me an hour to get home, they seemed to be fine. I put a heat light on them, clean water and antibiotic chick starter. I found the first one I lost yesterday, and when I got home from work today another!!! the set up is the same as the person I bought them from but I hate loosing my babies!!!
    What to do!!??/[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss, it can be very frustrating. As long as your temp is warm enough, no drafts and they are eating and drinking there is not much more you can do. I gave mine Poultry Drench mixed in with their water to help give them a boost, but at times I still lost a few. Sometimes there may be some weak chicks that make it through the hatching process but can't make it outside the shell. Wish you luck with the other babies.

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Very sorry about what you're going through. Hopefully just a couple of stressed out ones were too weak. What variables have you tried to change? FWIW, the Cackle temps were way too hot for mine. They were too babyish to know to get away from the heat. Good luck.

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    What are you feeding them? If the person you got them from is not having an issue, its on your end.

1)Are you giving them crumbles or mash?
    2)What brand?
    3)Is there room for them to move away from your heat source? Have you checked the temp in various areas of the brooder?
    4) Are you cleaning the waterer with chemicals?

6. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Thank you all for the empathy. I got the chicks when they were just dry from the shell and I do keep the light source a little distance away to keep them from getting too hot. they stay in the far end of the box no matter where the light is. the feed is medicated crumbles the same thing the woman who sold them to me gave them. I added save a chick to the water but that is the only other thing I gave them that is new.

It just makes you feel like a failure!!
    responsible for the lives of these beautiful babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by