not again... BR pullet please? **updated photo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsruvi, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mrsruvi

mrsruvi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    Ok so i just found out on this cite that my EE girl is really an EE boy. and now today i get a good look at one of my BR "girls" and shes sprouted wattles and a comb that's almost floppy... She had no dot on her head ever, my other girl did/sorta still does. This girl takes food from my EE who turns out to be a boy. which leads me to worry when all mixed together. heres some photos. Hoping for good news this time guys, i've already had a bad day! I estimate they are 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just for compairson here is my other one. its really just a matter of coloring right? the first one is only a little bigger in the comb right?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a black sex link cockerel to me. I'm saying sex link rather than BR cockerel because the barring is all over the place. It's not looking pullet-y at all, sorry.

3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, too.

4. mrsruvi

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    any other guesses?
    and why please?

5. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    looks boyish to mee too. tall stance, big comb, big feet, little tail... and that open mouth gawk. just has a rooish feel.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup, and it's legs are white. Pure BR's have yellow legs.

7. mrsruvi

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    what the heck!! they were labeled "barred rock"! Im pretty frustrated right now. Ive got what looks like two cockerels out of seven chickens. my barred rocks are not barred rocks? the Ideal 236 i bought is most defiantly an EE. i dont know anything about black sexlinks! what are they!?

I feel like this is Gods way of telling me i shouldnt have chickens...

*Edit*
    I googled black sexlinks and the boys are supposed to have a spot on their heads. this one never did. but the other girl (in the last picture) did/does. but she looks less rooish to me. is there anything else they could be? they have grey legs with black on the fronts.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

With black sexlinks, the boys are barred (messy barred) and the girls are solid (well at least NOT barred).

Your pictures definitely look like a little boy, mainly in stance and coloring. Grey legs? Cuckoo Marans are messier barred and have grey legs. Your pic still doesn't look much like that either though. Let me look up some of my old pictures for comparison....my pullets are 10+ weeks old, the cockerel was from last year.

Barred Rock Cockerel: YELLOW LEGS
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock Pullets (+1 EE)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  9. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    what about a maran? at first i thought our BR were Marans cause of how pale their legs are

10. mrsruvi

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    ok Cuckoo maran looks about right when i googled it. I am positive they arent black sexlinks just because they are both barred and it seems unreasonable for BOTH to be boys and they were barred when i bought them (a little, they werent totally fuzzy still)

So that being the case then are we sure its a boy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by