Not again!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well my buff duck is now trying to go broody on her third clutch of eggs, I went outside with my trusty duck protector ( my mini nauzer ) and she went straight into the duck hut and laid down. When i called her she wouldnt come. Stinkin dog found where mama was hiding her 3 eggs.

Well Im not allowed to set the incubator back up due to the recent loss, and im not sure if they are even fertile.

My grandma makes egg ornaments , so these three fresh guys are off to her house in the morning.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    why dont let her have a dew eggs to make her happy.

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I took up the few that she had in her nest since they were cold which indicated to me that she was not setting on them. She lays them and then leaves them. This is her third clutch . Her first she had 18 eggs , her second she had 16 eggs and out of those 34 only one hatched.

So she can keep whatever she lays after today if she is a good girl and sets on them, if not then they go to my grandmother. If this happens in the spring I will most likely incubate them.

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Arent ur drakes pretty old ? That may be ur fertility reason . They cant get eh job done
    SHe wont sit on the eggs until she is completly done laying . She will lay an egg every day or so but wont lay on them until she laid her full clutch .

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a 11 month old drake and a 7 year old drake.

Im thinkin of letting her keep whatever she lays in the nest

She has laid 2 in the nest, 1 in the yard, and 2 in the pool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by