Not Again!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
My poor chickens seem to get one sickness after another.

Scaly leg,
Fowl pox
Infection bronchitis

After the last illness they have been 100 percent healthy for 2 months. But today I noticed my rooster has one watery eye. I looked at my other chickens and they ALL have watery eyes (mostly only one eye).

They have no other symptoms. The watery eye is only very slightly swollen and its hard to spot unless I compare it to a good eye. They are not scratching at it. There have been lots of mosquitoes about so I am wondering if its something they caught from them.

Any idea what this is?

(they have hatches out a lot of chicks this time and all the chicks and pullets are not effected - only the adults).

Could be the bronchitis again, influenza or laryngotracheitis, as the most common things.

If a flock continues to come down with illness, there may be some stress going on reducing resistance to disease. Stress is normal with chickens everyday life. Stress is anything from parasites, crowding, contaminated feed, changes in the flock or housing.
One of the biggest things is ventilation. Lots of people start closing up their coop this time of year.
Not a good thing.

Thanks for the reply.

I am keeping a close eye on them.

They don't have much stress - they are totally free range and are locked in a large coop at night. They have constant food and water and are not overcrowded.

I am sure they are getting these illnesses from the wild birds and village chickens that come into the garden. Here in Thailand my neighbours all keep the Thai game chickens and there are also free range, so they often mix with my flock in the daytime.

Thanks for the reply.

I am keeping a close eye on them.

They don't have much stress - they are totally free range and are locked in a large coop at night. They have constant food and water and are not overcrowded.

I am sure they are getting these illnesses from the wild birds and village chickens that come into the garden. Here in Thailand my neighbours all keep the Thai game chickens and there are also free range, so they often mix with my flock in the daytime.

ChickenCanoe offered an excellent answer, and your own explanation is a good one, but I wish to throw in my two cents worth ...

Ammonium isn't nearly as toxic as ammonia is, which can accumulate adequately down at their level to cause symptoms, despite going undetected where our faces normally are. Make sure your coop remains dry at even the floor level, and has ample air movement, and no sources of mold/mildew/fungi/etc.

Also, despite the benefits and convenience of free ranging, it does expose your birds to every potential hazard, as you have no control over what they choose to eat, or what their water contains ... another good reason for the following suggestion:

For certain, you can offer Apple Cider Vinegar in the water you provide, at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon. This provides so many benefits, and cannot harm you birds in any way. The tannin in ACV helps to 'cut through' the mucus and other coatings w/in their mouths, throats and intestines, helping them to more easily expel it, and aids in the removal of toxins. This also improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins and any medication(s), and further boosts their immune systems. Esp. w/ free ranging birds, botulism can be an issue -- it produce one of the most poisonous toxins known to man, and the ACV also reduces the numbers of this bacteria, and treats intoxification. One more benefit of importance is that the target pH of 5~6 creates a very hostile environment for internal parasites, of which there are so very many there.

Back
Top Bottom