Not all wood shavings absorb the same

Sylvie

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Ohio
I was buying pine wood shavings in a bale for $6 from a feed mill. These were low dust, smelled wonderful and really absorbed well. I realized that I needed more, but it was Sunday and the feed mill was closed. So, I went to the Tractor Supply where I knew they have pine shavings in a bale, got one for $6.75 and put it in the brooder.
In one day I could tell the difference with it being wet, some ammonia smell, lots of moisture pooling on the floor of the brooder. The second day was worse and I kept adding more shavings and stirring. The third day I emptied it and started with more fresh and kept the chicks outside for several hours.
It began all over again and they are right at an open window with good ventilation. I bought Stall Dry and that helped but, boy, have I cursed those shavings.
It's clear that not all pine shavings are created alike.

Has anyone else had issues with different brands of pine shavings? I'm heading back to the feed mill on Monday.

Maybe it's the quality control in the packaging. When I was little and in the days before chickens I'd buy these tiny expensive packs of shavings, sometimes it was light and fluffy when pulled out, sometimes it was small and crumbly. But if it's a bad batch, sounds like it's run material.

A bad batch could have been the problem.
I know I run the risk of a bad bale with any brand I choose, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom