Not an Aracauna

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thirteen, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Thirteen

Thirteen Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Texas
    I purchased a 16 week old hen today - it's not an Aracauna, but I would like to identify its breed.
    Current guesses for me are: light Sussex or possibly a Brahma (although the comb doesn't like right for it).

[​IMG]

Any ideas would help me greatly - thank you!
    This is the best picture I could take at the time. The hen is very flighty.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Looks like a Sussex. Probably a Coronation Sussex. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    What kind of comb does she have? Does she have feathered legs, and what color are those legs? If she has feathered legs then she is a Brahma. If her legs are clean then she could be a light Sussex, a columbian Wyandotte or columbian Rock. Sussex have white legs and single combs. Columbian Wyandottes have yellow legs and rose combs. Columbian Rocks have yellow legs and single combs. Hard to tell which it is by that picture.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    uh oh- think I see roo feathers... especially down by the tail- the slightly yellowed ones with black streaks in middle like on the neck.

I think this is a young ROO.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb looks like a Brahmas comb, so I'm going to go with Light Brahma. However, what color are the legs? If they are green, this bird could be an Easter Egger, as they can come in this color (well, they can come in any color, actually). And, I'm not so sure that "she" is a hen. The hackles look a little pointy. Could you post some photos of her standing up so that we can see her body shape, hackle feathers, and tail?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can see those, too. You might want to get a profile pic once it settles down a little.

7. Thirteen

Thirteen Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White legs, no pea comb.
    At 16 weeks, I would think the comb and wattles would be more prominent with a rooster.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So probably a light Sussex. Sorry, the pic still isn't good enough for my poor eyes. It doesn't look overtly roosterish in those pics, but I sure thought I saw saddle feathers in the kennel.

Add---does anyone else's auto correct try to make the word "roosterish" into "roosterfish"? Seriously? What's a roosterfish? may have to look that up and see if it's a real thing...........

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes a real thing. the name comes from long fins on their back, somewhat looking like a rooster's tail. Prized sport fish too.

I agree the new pics looks like a light sussex pullet. but need closer up pictures of neck and saddle region just to make sure because of the first picture in this thread. I do appreciate how hard it is to get good pictures of a bird that does not want to cooperate in any way... have someone else hold the bird?

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I looked them up an man are they ugly! I'll take the rooster any day. At least now I know why my auto correct kept giving me that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by