Not an emergency, because hen died last night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Archer, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Archer

Archer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    but hoping someone can give me some insight. We have owned chicks for just 5 months. got them as day olds. they were all doing fine and then yesterday one of the red stars got very lethargic, just lay in my arms, and seemed to be breathing very shallow. couldn't see anything going on. pooped a little yellow poop. she just lay for hours until she died. we are very new to this and heartbroken. does anyone have any ideas? we did separate her from the others as soon as we noticed she was sick...........thanks for any help.

2. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Hmm.. First thing that comes to my mind is broken egg or liver failure.. What kind of feed do you have them on? Have they been laying yet? How long have you been giving them layer feed or calcium? Did the poop look like it was yolk or poop?

Goddess [​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    so sorry. By chance did she get ahold of bad feed? moldy? rat posion?
    Quote:

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Sorry I don't have any experience w/ this, but I wanted to say [​IMG]

6. Archer

Jan 21, 2011
    we have them on grower layer feed - little pellets - sorry, i don't even know the name of it. we keep it pretty fresh. they have been on that for about a month. they just started laying about 2 weeks ago, but we have 6 other chicks, so i'm not even sure who is laying! the poop was loose, almost a sunshine yellow. we have no posions around, so she couldn't have gotten a hold of anything like that. what would cause liver failure?

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    unfortunatly sometimes these things just happen. i'm very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sadly, with symptoms that severe, veterinary attention to urgently get to the root of the problem may have been the only way to save her....
    JJ

9. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like egg bound to me... anytime you see something bright yellow (think yolk) or foamy (think whites), it is probably an egg issue... You might want to do a little reading- tons of info on here, on the subject. I have lost two chickens to it- not too much you can do... Sorry for your loss....

10. Archer

Jan 21, 2011
    thanks for the info. i had never even heard of egg bound. i will definately do more reading. this is a great resource!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by