1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not an emergency, bloodied egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Achelois, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Achelois

Achelois Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    This is the second egg I've had like this from my otherwise healthy hen, so I took a photo. I Googled extensively last time and couldn't find another egg like it. She's a good layer, nice strong shells, usually blemish-free eggs, no funny poop that I can find and just generally happy, friendly and free ranging. It is however the second identically weird egg, though they were a week or so apart. Only since our rooster matured, but I don't think he's mated with her yet. Has she got something wrong with her - and any ideas on what?

[​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been wondering the the same thing too. In my opinion I think it's an embryo starting to develop. But who knows

3. Achelois

Achelois Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    I forgot to mention - these are freshly laid eggs and haven't been incubated. I could see the blastoderm and it didn't even look fertile. So I doubt it could be a chick - it doesn't look like any photo of an embryo I've seen. I wondered about reproductive tract damage, but it seemed strange that she's had all these perfect eggs in between, and these near-identical weird ones.

4. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm
    hmm that is kind of weird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by