Not an Emergency but i wanna make sure hes OK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeeper1540, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 18 month old hen (although i refer to him as "HE") named Fred just started molting a couple weeks ago. now he is starting to look like a raw chicken with pins sticking out! however, he seems to have pain as he walks, he crouches and has his legs kinda out to the sides, and more waddles like a duck than walks like a chicken. i wanna make sure hes ok. is this just pain from the new feathers poking through? is there something else wrong with him? I wanna make sure. it also seems to hurt him when i hold him, which i did a couple days ago, and he jumped out of my arms and realized there have to be feathers on his wings to fly. [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sounds like he's going thru a major molt. 18 months is the prime age for it. It can be uncomfortable for them, but completely normal. You can up his protien (higher protien feed or treats) to help him get thru it faster--it will still take a couple of weeks or more though.

ETA: The new feathers coming in can be really tender so "he'd" probably appreciate a less hands on approach until he's thru that stage.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  3. Jeeper1540

ya after that episode i have made sure not to pet or hold him until he feels better. yes, he is going thru a mojor mold and i feel so sorry for him, especially since its been cold and rainy since yesterday, and supposed to be the next week

ETA: I got them some works and crickets today, and since he cant run for them like the rest of the chickens, i made sure he got some by handing them to him, then he went in the coop to eat them while the rest were out. I also got some Calf Manna because its high in protein. i give them higher protein layer too

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    How often do chickens molt?

5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Mine are about the same age and going through the same thing. Our yard looks so funny with all the feathers on the ground.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I can't blame him/her for walking like a duck. I remember when my EE was molting last year. She looked horrible and every time i would try to pick her up she would squawk and protest.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:They molt in the fall. The first fall molt is a mini-molt and often not noticable--the big one at 18 months can make the chicken coop/run look like the remains of a major pillow fight and the hardest hit chooks seem to be pre-plucked.

8. Jeeper1540

Thanks for the responses guys! i just wanted to make sure it was just the molt

9. Jeeper1540

When do they have their next big molt? 36 months?

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:After their first big molt then they should molt on an annual basis each Fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by