not an emergency but please answer A.S.A.P!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6henslvr, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 6henslvr

6henslvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    virginia
    ok, tomorrow night its supposed to get down to 0 degrees. this is my chickens first winter and they haven't had it this cold yet. (actually nether have i that i can remember!)how can i keep them warm! i have a heat lamp and a small coop but still i need to know anything else about keeping them warm! i will also use patroleum (?) jelly on their combs,wattles, and legs. i would bring them inside in a heart beat but i can't. i know they may be fine but i love them and want to make sure they will be ok. [​IMG] please tell me anything you can.and i would get another heat lamp too,but i can't go out tomorrow [​IMG] anything will help thank you!

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    It sounds like you have already done everything necessary to keep your chickies warm. When we get colder snaps around here (Idaho) I simply make sure to get them some fresh bedding and make sure they have enough unfrozen water. When it's really cold, they spend most of their time in the coop but they are always fine. Try not to worry. Chickens are very cold hardy and yours will be fine, too! Good luck!

3. 6henslvr

6henslvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    virginia
    thank you very much!!! that makes me feel a lot better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by