Not an emergency, but...sunburn?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by axion_lotus, Jun 8, 2011.

1. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    My silver-laced wyandotte hen I just bought from a poultry swap last week has sunburn on her back from lack of feathers. Her pinfeathers are coming in fine, and she seems to be in overall good health. I've used aloe vera on her back to treat the existing sunburn, but after awhile in the sun her back still looks red and inflamed. What kind of sunblock can I use to protect my poor bird's back?

Thank you for any assistance in this area.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Get a hen apron, the feathers will grow back underneath...

3. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a similar issue when my silkie got plucked bald(with her skin being dark gray i figured the sun might irritate her without me being able to see it-so i just put her in a covered run- its only been a couple of weeks and the feathers are growing back nicely.If she spends a week in the shade and you still see the redness and or inflamation you should consider having her seen by a vet to rule out mites ,infection , etc.
    Good luck
    Keep us posted

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    I know its sounds silly but My sister breeds Chinese crested.. they are hairless and she lives at the beach... she uses sunblock spf when they go outside. since they dont sweet like we do she uses the kind that washes off in water and isnt oil based, so it wont block their folicals Im sure you could use the same for chickens.
    good luck with her )O( [​IMG]
    Pink

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've been known to put some A&D diaper rash ointment on my sunburned girls from time to time. It stays on very well and is soothing to them.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Or if you'd rather do the saddle, here's how to make one at home from a scrap of fabric. I've done this several times; I never bothered with the tail hole, just the wing holes. Depends where she is bare, I guess. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167

7. axion_lotus

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Wow, thanks for all the good tips, guys. [​IMG] I'm on vacation right now, so I'm gonna get started making her a hen apron. [​IMG]

8. axion_lotus

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    So because I have a camera-shy wyandotte, I haven't been able to post any photos of her in her lovely green plaid apron, but it worked like a charm and her sunburn has completely gone away. And most of her feathers have grown back, too. [​IMG] Thanks again for al the awesome advice, guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by