Not an Emergency--Cut on Beak

Maine_chic

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Today I noticed a shallow cut on my Buff Orpington's beak. It is near the nostrils but does NOT interfere with them or cause her any apparent discomfort or difficulty breathing. Not bleeding. It appears that she cut it while trying to get a bug throught the wire of her run as I've seen her do with the flock. She is 10 weeks old and I am new to this. Is there any special treatment needed? It doesnt need filing, as the cut is clean and not raised. Is antiseptic advised or shall I just keep a close eye on it? Thank you very much for any and all advice! :)

Just watch it. Sometimes my ducks will try to reach dandelions on the other side of the fence, and they'll get their beaks cut or scratched. you can always spray on some poultry wound spray, or rub on some ointment without pain reliever. (pain reliever is poisonous to poultry)

poultry wound spray will heal the wound as well as keep it clean so it doesn't get infected.
Thank you for this info!! I have been keeping an eye on it but will now clean it as well. I noticed another of my birds has the exact same type of cut...so I am now positive it is the chicken wire, pecking at bugs that are on the other side. They are young...I hope they learn not to do this!

Thank you very much! I will keep an eye out for redness and pecking. I do have Blukote on hand, just in case! TY!!

You're very welcome! I'm sure it'll be fine but it's a great "just in case" thing to have! I just noted you mentioned it was your buff Orp that was injured; it was my Buff Orp when it happened to me. Seems like it's always her when things go wrong. She's my sweetest girl; yesterday I was doing a mite check on her flockmates and she crawled up in my lap, squeezing in, jealous of what she thought were loves being doled out to someone else :gig

Oh, and I know I'm late but welcome to BYC! We're so happy you've joined us!:welcome

You're very welcome! I'm sure it'll be fine but it's a great "just in case" thing to have! I just noted you mentioned it was your buff Orp that was injured; it was my Buff Orp when it happened to me. Seems like it's always her when things go wrong. She's my sweetest girl; yesterday I was doing a mite check on her flockmates and she crawled up in my lap, squeezing in, jealous of what she thought were loves being doled out to someone else :gig

Oh, and I know I'm late but welcome to BYC! We're so happy you've joined us!:welcome
Thank you so much for the welcome!!! I am not one to join forums or any online community...but this is seriously THE BEST!!! I cant believe how incredibly helpful everyone has been and I truly appreciate other chiken-people taking their time to help out others! Its wonderful and I strive to learn all I can, not only for the benefit of my flock, but to one day help others!!!
Its funny, your Orpington sounds exactly like mine!!! She is SO sweet and love-y! If I fel a bird jump on my back or head, I know instantly that its my Buttercup!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom