Not an emergency, looking for input on chicken occasionally eating her feathers

FluffyFaverolles

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
Hello!! I had a question about my chicken and her feathers. Today I noticed her swallow a piece of down, which I’ve seen her do before, and just wanted to know if she’s doing alright.
She doesn’t pluck her own feathers, it seems to be when she’s grooming and one happens to come out. She’s 10 years old and recently been broody so is it possible she could be lacking nutrition at all? I read that it can be a sign of lack of protein.
My hens get hours a day in the yard to roam and she eats pretty well while she does, we also give them healthy leftovers of our own food, so maybe she’s just catching up? She’s also older so not as tip-top healthy as she used to be when she was young, I think she still lays an egg every once in awhile.
Maybe I’m just worrying too much, but I lost 2 hens last year to different issues that were unfortunately out of my control so I’m a little health-paranoid over my birds.
I haven’t noticed any lethargy or general change in her demeanor at all, her feathers look pretty good, no bugs and droppings look good, just the occasional feather-eating. Thank you for any tips!

Its possible the scraps are filling her up instead of chicken food so shes not getting enough protein. What are you feeding as their regular food?

Its possible the scraps are filling her up instead of chicken food so shes not getting enough protein. What are you feeding as their regular food?
They get this as their feed, which my mom gets for them https://www.paybacknutrition.com/products/product/organic-egg-layer-ration-pellet
I’ve seen her eating it and we do put crushed up eggshells in as well, she also forages a lot. Is there a better feed we could use if this one isn’t as good? I pretty much handle all of the chicken stuff other than the food research, since my mom has always done that for them

They get this as their feed, which my mom gets for them https://www.paybacknutrition.com/products/product/organic-egg-layer-ration-pellet
I’ve seen her eating it and we do put crushed up eggshells in as well, she also forages a lot. Is there a better feed we could use if this one isn’t as good? I pretty much handle all of the chicken stuff other than the food research, since my mom has always done that for them
You mix eggshell into your layer feed? Yikes. I mean if you have a ten year old chicken you're doing something right but egg shell should be provided on the side, not mixed in. That's a lot of calcium for an old hen who isnt in her laying prime

You mix eggshell into your layer feed? Yikes. I mean if you have a ten year old chicken you're doing something right but egg shell should be provided on the side, not mixed in. That's a lot of calcium for an old hen who isnt in her laying prime
Ahhh, really? It’s not a ton of eggshell, but our poultry vet told us we should start putting a little bit in >_< I can definitely start putting it on the side if it’s harmful. I didn’t know that

Ahhh, really? It’s not a ton of eggshell, but our poultry vet told us we should start putting a little bit in >_< I can definitely start putting it on the side if it’s harmful. I didn’t know that
Its harmful long term. Different breeds at different stages of life have varying calcium needs and layer feed is made for commercial laying hens in the first two years of life when calcium demands are highest (at least that's what I learned on here but I haven't done my own research so if you're interested I highly recommend putting it into the search bar here and learning more)

Back
Top Bottom