1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not an emergency, per se, comb/wattle coloration question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mejumpmore1, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm not sure where I should put this question or if it's something that should concern me. I'm such a newbie and almost feel silly for asking.

I have had some avian pox coursing through my flock and not sure if this is related or just a normal chicken thing, so here goes:

I have a number of pullets, two of which the skin around eyes/face appear to be somewhat splotchy. Patches almost seem bleached out while the majority of their faces are reddening. I'm not sure if this is something that is perfectly normal and will continue to redden as they get a bit older and ready to begin laying or not.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We have a saying that there are no stupid questions. We were all newbies at some point.

I don't even know the answer -- not that I know all or even a lot of the answers, that's certainly not true! But I had fowl pox go through my flock a few years ago and do not recall anything like this. It makes me wonder if they have picked up some sort of fungus on their combs. You could try a tube of athlete's foot medication and see if it has any effect. Plenty of people here have used this stuff on their chickens.

Or maybe someone else will come along with a better idea.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Posting a picture or 2 of the splotches always helps people to help you.

4. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Sorry!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor hen. She has a pretty good case of fowl pox, and some lesions into her eye. I would look into her mouth for any yellow cheesy patches that could be wet fowl pox which can can cause respiratory distress. I think the pale patches may be part of the pox. Since you live in an area where pox can be pretty severe, you might want to vaccinate your birds that haven't got it yet. Here is some info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm021

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Thank You, I WiPox, Check Out The Links. She Seems To Be Improving From The Fowl POx,SomeOf The Eye Appearance i Think Is Due To Being Pecked By One Of The Other Chicken. This Has Been A Difficult Few Weeks.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fowl pox is a virus, but they can get secondary bacterial infections from the lesions, particularly around or in the eyes or if they have been pecked. You can use plain Neosporin ointment around eyes or you can get some ophthalmic antibiotic ointmet in most feed stores. I had one hen who had a lot of pox lesions near her eyes which got infected and required Neosporin for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by