Not an Orpinton... So what is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laughingull, Dec 7, 2010.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    [​IMG]The kid that sold me this hen at the local feed store told me she was a "Buff Orpington" which clearly she is not (right?). It was pretty funny to watch the confused look of the gal at the register as she tried to find out how to charge me given that they didnt seem to have any buffs on their inventory. Finally she entered "brown farm hen" and looked at me hopefull that I wouldnt complain. I didn't - though I sure wish whoever did the horrible job on her beak hadn't. Now that I am growing attached to her I would sure like to know what she is- is she some mix? Hopefully a breed or blend of breeds that lays well?? Eggs are my goal. She certainly is huge next to my other two (a leghorn which they called a "white farm chicken" a "Rhode Island Red" that only weighs slightly more than 2 pounds?)- thankfully she is a gentle giant. Anyway- I would really love it if anyone can share their expertise- I have driven myself crazy looking at pics of chickens online and trying to guess. She does have a tiny bit of black in her tail feathers if that means anything.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    She looks like a Red Star. Other names are Cinnamon Queen, Red Sex Link. i had some at one point. They are excellent layers. i wonder if she was debeaked or if her beak got injured? She looks very nice and healthy.

3. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG] She seems a bit lighter than my RIR, people mention a production red on here, perhaps she is one of those. But very close to Henrietta's look - and really that could all be camera/lighting/computer changing the shade of her. Is she eating okay with that beak? Is there anything you can do to shape it better or is it kinda stuck the way it is? Poor girl. [​IMG] But yeah, definately NOT a BO.

4. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    I would love to do something about her beak- is that possible? She has a much harder time than my others when it comes to eating greens and other snacks. With only 3 spoiled hens in our coop I don't think she will starve though (she does love eating mash out of my cupped hand so she can shovel it down and I have found that wetting her food also makes it easier for her- is it ok to do that?). Thank you both so much for the instant replies !!! [​IMG]

5. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Oh, and that would be great if is she is a Red Star- hopefully many eggs [​IMG]

6. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Probably a red sex link or could be a RIR x BO. There's some darker red in her hackle feathers.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Her legs look yellow in the pic. Buff Orps have white(ish)/pink(ish) legs...like this:
    [​IMG]

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd post her picture in Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures and see what they think... I'm a newbie, but I'd think there would be a way to file or trim it...? This must happen somewhat often, don't you think?

9. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:she is a pretty, pretty girl!!

10. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    and I do believe the others are correct, not that I'm an expert by any means [​IMG] but she looks just like the red sex links they had at my CSA last summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by