1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not as fragile as i thought

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by france4862, Nov 6, 2013.

1. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    I don't find my chicks to be so fragile we have partially heated garage I built a huge brooder i think I have 28 chicks 2 heat lamps which I think I can raise a bit. Just need to figure out how. Any ideas on what to use to hang heat lamps on?

2. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    What type of treats can I give my chicks to develope some type of bonding?

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There are lots of treats you can give chicks. My chicks love bread, mealworms (dried and alive), grass, other insects, and moistened chick feed. Other ideas include fruits (like watermelon and other soft fruits), lettuce, other leafy greens, and even some grain/scratch. Just make sure you feed treats in moderation, as the chicks need to eat mostly their chick starter feed in order to grow properly. Also, if you're feeding fiberous foods or hard foods, like grain, make sure that you provide the chicks with grit (small stones/sand) so that they can digest it properly.

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I find these to be sturdy and trustworthy for hanging your heat lamps. I haven't had one fall yet, they are rated for 75lbs!!

1/8" Compact Rope Ratchet
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Com...B9VK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383780669&sr=8-4

treats:
    mealworms are great

I love to give them little pieces of lettuce or kale, I swear it starts a game of keepaway every time. I know it's a game because there is plenty of lettuce for everyone, you guys!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the help. I roller pinned reg cherrios not the sugary one and that got thier attention a little bit.I'm mostly just bringing the small snacks to get some repore with them.

6. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Farmer viola thanks for that site um goung to look for those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by