NOT BEER but Carrots for horses? How many would be to much?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Since it has been cold we have been hanging a milk carton with two holes in it and I chop up two large carrots to put inside it.....for two horses....they love it...but I was wondering how much is to much?....because there not on pasture anymore.....well green pasture....just hay and their feed....I was wondering if they could get a gut ache....??? In the summer they never got carrots everyday....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

2 carrots a day is no biggie. [​IMG]

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree 2 carrots isnt going to hurt just dont give them the whole bag...its good for them and keeps their vitamins up also. I give each horse 1 carrot during the winter. Mine love them.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Even if you gave them 3 or 4 it' snot going to hurt anything. Like Chatychick said, just don't feed em the whole bag. It will be fine [​IMG]

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL LOL LOL

My horses LOVE beer! I used to do Guiness mashes for them all the time (once a week). My TB gelding would drink any beer in sight...now we no longer drink, so we no longer have beer to give them...but they love it.

Carrots, yeah...no problem there. Also try bananas (peel on), my horses love them. Buy the long black or red licorice stings and tie them around stuff, they enjoy playing with them while they munch. Star peppermints are other faves.

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Ha ha ha..Beer !!!..I guess thats what Tobby and Willie were singing about then...Id drink a whisky over a beer though...and that would be an all nite sipper drink for me...hahaha In my ole age....thanks for easing my mind about the carrots .....I am a worry wort...

7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

You could also try the big candy canes/peppermint sticks. Our horses LOVE them even graham crackers/animal crackers...That is if your looking for treats for your horses...Our even like a little oatmeal sprinkled in there hay.

8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    When I still worked at the track there was a guy who came 2x a week who was called the "carrot man". He drove around the backside with his truck filled with huge 50 lb baskets of carrot sticks for $5. I always bought one for my horses at home and the trainer always bought 8, one for each groom to give our horses. Each horse typically got a large coffee can full with their morning feed.
    We were also supplied with huge bags of peppermints, it's fun to teach them how yummy they are and to see 8 heads pop over gates with alert ears when they heard a peppermint wrapper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by