"...not by my Chinnych.... " .. + a bRat w/ 14 bubs.. etc.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Aneesa's Muse, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]
    Palay.. she's about 2 y.o.

[​IMG]
    Obsidian.. she's somewhere in the 4-5 y.o. range ...and my home is, at least, her 5th home (and her last, if I can help it [​IMG] )

The new kids.. chin'kids... that is! [​IMG]

They are moving into a different cage tomorrow ..I didn't notice that rust along the base until it was too late [​IMG] ..and I have to rearrange the quarantine room to fit their Mansion in there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

I was expecting pigs!! You know "not by the hair on my chinnychinchin!" You tricked me! They are still awefully cute!

-Kim

3. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Hahaha.. nope! [​IMG]

The only "chinnychinchins" here are Chinchillas ...well, unless you count Cavies... err, Piggies ..err....

No oinkers at my house! [​IMG]

4. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Awesome job Aneesa! How do you work your magic to get them to find and bring them to you?
    We are in the middle of another bird seizure here. Trying to convince them that they dont need to borrow our carriers, they need to just let us take care of the birds.
    Seized 105 birds, 80 of them roos, most need medical attention. And all of them are being kept in transport to fight carriers. Some, no bigger then 8 inches wide, and up to 4 per box. Tell me I cant do a better job then what they are doing. grr 'They', being law enforcement officials.

5. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Knowledge is power ..sharing yours with them can really help ...eventually. [​IMG]

As for "them finding me" ...well.. I seem to be a magnet for the "kids" that are misunderstood, mistreated, neglected, and so on ....and I have friends in a few local shops that keep me in mind for the exotics.

It isn't always a great situation, but I do what I can ..when I can [​IMG]

I forgot to mention the "kids" that came home today.. it never ends... I went to get bugs for the early risers (lizards that think it's Spring already) ..and my friend had to show me the very preggo bRat in one of the tanks. This little momma was lying on her side, babies kicking and punching her from within..

...she went into labor IN my car, on the way home! [​IMG] She's now sitting on a nest full of brand new bubs. I can hear lots of squeaky peeping from them.. and she's staying on the nest, so I'll leave her be for tonight ..and try to get a head count and pics tomorrow. I named her Katherine, for a friend that jinxes me ever' chance she gets [​IMG]

If she and her bubs weren't enough, I also brought home the little "black bear" hamster that was left on the counter by its former human. The baby is cute as a button ..and big for a hamster! S/he really looks like a little black bear. Sooo cute! If it's a boy, I'll probably call him Kevin ...if girl, I'll have to come up with something else. (Kevin is my friend, Kathy ...her husband's name. I blame them both ..and it's only fitting that they have namesakes.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. skand

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    That's funny. Sometimes you just make yourself wonder WHY you insist on having friends!
    I have one that always does that sort of thing to me. Oh I just happened to find such and such... or I saw these and knew you could use them.
    Our pet stores love me and always throw in a few extra bugs for the birds. They let my girls get the meal worms out to feed to the peacock, etc.
    They also know to call me or give my phone number if anyone says the word chicken!
    The feed store down the road, if anyone makes the sentance, Does anyone know where I can get a chi---.. they give them my addy! They've gone so far as to send them here looking for parakeets. The owner told me, hey! I heard bird, and sent them to you! Not my fault if they didnt want chicken. lol Had to give him that one. lol
    I talked to the dispatcher again. She went into how they want to keep the birds on site, so I reinforced the fact that they mentioned needing medical treatment, and that I am willing to take those ones, she jotted it down and is going to give it to the lead sherriff investigator. I'll call again today. hehehe

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I didn't know chinchillas had ears THAT big!!!!

8. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Good luck.. skand! I know you have the ability to wear them down [​IMG] If I was closer, I'd give you a hand with that! [​IMG]

chickorama... 'Sid has exceptionally large ears [​IMG] Her former human thought she may be a different "sub-species" ...but she isn't. She just hears better [​IMG]

Katherine's head count this morning ..tentatively, due to her nervous behaviour when I went in... FOURTEEN! Milk bellies on all of 'em ..but they are smaller than "healthy" bRat pups should be. (Mommy was in a feeder tank, though.. so..... )

She had chicken last night ..is having baby cereal and strawberry Boost this morning ...in addition to Innova kibbles sprinkled on her staple lab blocks. I'll continue to supplement her blocks and kibble with warm and extra nutritious foods, so she and bubs can bulk up to healthy weights. [​IMG]

9. skand

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Aneesa's Muse :

Katherine's head count this morning ..tentatively, due to her nervous behaviour when I went in... FOURTEEN! Milk bellies on all of 'em ..but they are smaller than "healthy" bRat pups should be. (Mommy was in a feeder tank, though.. so..... )

She had chicken last night ..is having baby cereal and strawberry Boost this morning ...in addition to Innova kibbles sprinkled on her staple lab blocks. I'll continue to supplement her blocks and kibble with warm and extra nutritious foods, so she and bubs can bulk up to healthy weights. [​IMG]

bRats are? Pics please, if she'll let you. I love mice and rats and all sorts of rodents!!
    Would love to have more pet mice again, but everyone freaks out bout a mouse family in the kitchen. lol
    It was cute, had a whole mini-kitchen set-up complete with plates and forks. Loved it when noone wanted to stay for dinner!​

10. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    "bRat" is my term of endearment for my Rat kids [​IMG]

Rats are awesome pets! And I'm finding the Chinchillas to be pretty cool, too ..especially little Phoenix. He's my buddy! [​IMG]

It's funny that you mention the mice in the kitchen.. I have a group of girls (bRats) living in a Midwest Kennel (it's HUGE) ...in my kitchen. They get first dibs on whatever I'm cooking ..or getting for my own snack, from the fridge [​IMG]

I'll try to get pics of Katherine and her horde later today ..or so. She's not being aggressive at all, but she's noticeably nervous about my presence.

**Before anyone squawks and baulks at my furries in my kitchen.. they are CLEAN and they are not touching any of the foods, running rampant, etc. Please keep your funky comments to yourselves. [​IMG] **

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by