Not Checking Humidity

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Have a Hova-Bator 2360 now. The lady we got it from has been dry-incubating/hatching with these for years. She always makes sure the temperature is accurate, but doesn't check the humidity. She adds the water at lockdown and doesn't worry about humidity or anything else for the 3 plus days until chicks are ready to come out. She has pretty good success. We are in Texas, an hour south of Dallas. So there is usually humidity. Does anyone else incubate and hatch this "hands-off" versus "hands-on"? I'm very curious to hear from y'all. She says because there is always humidity here, that's plenty. We have a hygrometer we could put inside. It's reading 72 degrees and 51% humidity in the room with the bator right now.
These eggs are supposed to go into lockdown in 24 hours. Thanks for your input!!

Last edited:
what input you want? theyre ready to hatch? dump some pretty warm water in it and get the temp right ... i live in florida where its high humidity but guess what, in the house with the central air running its more like 40ish .. use water in the bator, its not hard trust me, add it warm and add a measured amt every time that covers a set area of the floor ... most modern bators have sections or channels ... so add warm water to a certain section, note the humidity, your looking for 60ish ... simple simple .. and its not critical like eeew aaah humidity isnt right ima gonna kill dem, no .. if humidity is high or low just aim to bring it in line, its not critical .. now it does affect temp in the bator ... so work that out so you know what temp a dry bator will hit if it was set with water present .. hatch time is not the time to experiment tho, just sayin .. but make sure temp stays right, thats about 150x more important than humidity ..

Back
Top Bottom