Not "doing the deed"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Dec 12, 2010.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Is it possible for a rooster not to be performing? I have 9 chickens, 3 of which are laying regularly. The girls do, I think, believe I am their rooster and get in the position whenever I go to pick them up.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    even if the roo's is doing his duty, your hens will squat for you

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Yes it is possible, sometimes if a less dominant rooster is raised with a dominante rooster the less dominant rooster looses confidence in breeding because the dominant one never lets him breed. At least thats what I have heard, he also might still be young, some rooster take awhile to mature.

4. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert on rooster/hen behavior, since we cannot have roo's in the burbs, but would guess it is probably like the duck thing. However, my pet hens squat down a bit and open up their wings to let me know they are willing to be picked up. It's probably a sensory thing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, so he wasn't raised with a dominant roo, but one of the hens picks on him pretty badly, if you can believe it. He's very docile, a Polish Crested. She's plucked all/his back head feathers out, so I've had to trim his head feathers and use a treatment called rooster booster that has turned his remaining white head feathers PINK. He has a pink mullet. Its hysterical, actually, but could this be the problem? I know he's not doing it because the eggs have not been fertilized. I tried to incubate some.

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:That could be your problem, try removing the hen and see if he starts trying to breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by