Not drying good in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennifersmith326, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    The chicks aren't drying good in the incubator. Is it okay to take them out and dry them off a little.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Newbie here.. don't know much... but everything I've read says they should stay in for the first 24 hrs. They might get chilled if you open it up to dry them.
    Someone who knows their stuff may come on here and say something different, but I'd wait until they do before you mess with anything. [​IMG]
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    They were in for at least 24 hours and they look dry but it looks like their fuzzy is matted down.

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    OK.. well perhaps if you do it somewhere warm then? Like under the brooder heat lamp?
    Like I said, I don't know very much, sorry [​IMG]

5. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, it sounds like they are ready to be transferred to the brooder box.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    is there a fan in your bator? Mine do great now that my bator has fans

no fan = sticky looking chicks even ater 24 hours-if you dont have any new chicks hatching and its been 24 hours I would do a quick grab and put them in brooder:)

7. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    I've rarely ever had mine get completely "fluffy" in the incubator. If the hatch is done and they are 24 hours old just move them to the brooder.

8. cartersmith

cartersmith Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    i move mine to brooder a couple hours after hatch cause aint really room in the incubator but my brooder is fully enclosed with heat lamp so no draughs

9. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    I have done 1 complete hatch so no expert by far. I have a Brinsea Mini Adavance which only holds 7 eggs. My first hatch is a little over 3 weeks old now and I still have 100% (all 7) really healthly looking chicks. Since my bator is fairly small, I actually took the chicks out at different intervals and placed them in the brooder. They were stepping all over and cracking the other eggs. I waited about 12 hours after hatching to put the first 2 chicks in, and then it was different times with I think the shortest at 4 hours after hatch. My chicks stayed wet even after 12 hours and you could hardly see in the plastic cover because when each one hatched, it would really add to the humidity. It was not until I placed them in the brooder did they get dry and fluffy. I had a 60watt bulb and had tested to 95 degrees direct under the bulb and placed them there. Next morning they figured out how to drink by themselves and then I added food and BOOM, these little guys are getting huge. javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by