not dust bathing in the right place

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my3jsons, May 20, 2010.

1. my3jsons

my3jsons Songster

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I thought I was so good giving my chickens a new place to dust bathe. I bought a galvanized pan at Tractor Supply and sand from Home Depot and dug a spot in their yard to sink it into. Then I stood back to watch. Those silly chickens are dust bathing in the fresh dirt right next to the pan! I haven't seen one in the pan except to use it as a little box! I guess, I should have just dug up the dirt.

[​IMG]
    "Thanks chicken mama, we love the dirt, but what is the pan here for?"

2. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

"You can lead a chicken to a nice custom-made dust bath, but you can't make her use it!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. Prodigal son

Prodigal son In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    High Plains
    Kind of reminds me of when our daughters were little. We would buy them a Christmas or b-day gift, they'd unwrap it, take the toy out then play in the box!

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL [​IMG] It's not big enough for them all to get into together. I tried this as well.

This is my buff orpington's (and a couple of resident EE's) favorite dust bathing spot. When I open the pen to freerange, they all head straight to this little bowled out area next to our carport. I am constantly sweeping the dirt off of the driveway. I can't get them to move.

[​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Chickens like to all pile in, or at least try to get in on the act once one is down. I think they'll find that nice shiny platter of sand soon enough.

6. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    too funny!

maybe they liked the dirt you stirred around when digging the whole to put the pan in. lol

7. sixinva

sixinva Chirping

Apr 6, 2010
    Not many chickens want to willingly jump into a pan;)

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine have never dust bathed in a convenient spot. Never ever. When we had 2 yards of sand delivered and piled in the driveway they ignored it completely and dust bathed in the newly planted flowerbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by