Not eating as much now that it is cold

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by scrambledc, Dec 6, 2010.

1. scrambledc

scrambledc New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    My two Rhode Island Reds, 9 mos old, don't seem to be eating very much at all since it started getting around freezing and below.[​IMG] I started mixing my Layena pellets with warm milk and they pick at it a little better, but not much. All they want is grapes and some table scraps I feed in the morning when they free range. Should I be feeding them differently?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine don't seem to be eating their pellets as much either, but it could be because I feel sorry for them and have been giving them more treats, well oatmeal ,left over stew and this morning scrambled eggs, and then for dessert mealworms. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    Yes. I have learned through experience and on here that the more treats, scraps, etc. you give them...the less of their "real food" i.e. laying pellets they eat. So, I say cut back or perhaps stop the treats for a few days and see if that has any effect on their appetites. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by