Not eating much

Agapehomestead

Chirping
Jun 19, 2021
We have a chicken that wasn’t that much interested in eating so we isolated her. She drinks and eats a very little bit and she started to molt right when we isolated her. It’s been a few days. Today she has green poop starting to stick. See pic. Any ideas? I’m deworming her just in case.

Last edited:
EFB05BBC-9AB7-4ABD-8A25-4EE6067954BF.jpeg

Tonight, feel her crop, and in the morning before she eats, feel it again. If it feels like it's still full before she has breakfast, it could be a blockage or sour crop. here's an article about crop ailments.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

If her crop feels smaller in the morning, then she probably doesn't have a blockage or sour crop.

Green poop can mean either she's only had grass/vegetation, or that she isn't eating enough (which as you mentioned she doesn't want to eat). If the article doesn't help, let
us know. There may be another issue that is suppressing her appetite.

We have a chicken that wasn’t that much interested in eating so we isolated her. She drinks and eats a very little bit and she started to molt right when we isolated her. It’s been a few days. Today she has green poop starting to stick. See pic. Any ideas? I’m deworming her just in case.
Try to get the hardened and dried poop off her, if you need to, gently use a pair of pliers to crush that crusty poop ball so if comes off more easily. Wash up the rest of her poopy feathers too. A little dawn or mild soap will help.

Once you do that, inspect her for lice/mites, feel her crop first thing in the morning before she eat/drinks.
When is the last time she laid an egg?

You mention she's molting? A photo of all of her would be good.
What are you using as a dewormer? Product and dose.

I'd work on hydration first, then offer her some wet feed, bits of egg, etc. to see if she will eat a bit of something but hydration is most important.

Back
Top Bottom