1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not eating much..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Quack-a-DoodleDo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Quack-a-DoodleDo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    My hens(6) are barely touching thier food. Its the same stuff Ive been giving them for months now without any problems. They all seem happy and healthy. I was having to fill thier food about 3 times a week, now its been at least a week and its only half gone. Is there maybe something I can give them that would be more appealing? I give them a basic egg layer mix.. we arent getting anymore eggs though. Thanks:)

2. Carlislemom

Carlislemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    A great question. I am having the same issue. My hens are eating most of the treat that I give them (1 or 2 times a week).

Any ideas for us newbies??

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I give mine a layer feed, and a scoop of black oil sunflower maybe half a lb for 18 chickens and 2 small handfuls of yellow whole corn and oatmeal. I am getting over a dz a day, I also let my free range on the weekends and when i get home from work. Then of course any left overs from dinner.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you are feeding them "treats" then you might be over doing it. Unless you notice a change in weight that might be it. Chickens need the right diet to lay eggs. They need a balanced diet. Commercial feed has all that they need. Also keep in mind that fat chickens don't lay and are more inclined to have laying problem when they do.

To many treats would be like you only eating only dessert. You won't die but you won't function well either.

I wish you well,

Rancher

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Don't worry about it as long as they are healthy.
    It could be something else was eating the feed before, and now it's gone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by