Not eating, not drinking, staring a lot

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buggly, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Buggly

Buggly In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    Pluma has been like this for 3 days now. She suddenly went quiet, I can even pick her up when I have never been able to touch her. The looks good other than staring at nothing in particular, and occasionally opening her mouth and breathing through the beak. Then she breaths normally. She is not moving a lot, only in she really needs. We had a really strong heat a few days ago, when this started so I thought it might have been that, but now it has been cool for over 2 days and still the same. She is not eating nor drinking on her own. I have been feeling her water y yogurt with a syringe when she opens her beak. Yesterday she had some food. Maybe 2 mouth full and then she stops. It just looks like she sees it and ears it by instinct and the she looses interest. But unfortunately she is not eating enough. She can walk although not normally and when the other chiches push her, she almost falls over.
    I have dusted her for mites but I don't know what else to do. It almost looks like she had a stroke??? Or is it time for her? She is a Mexican breed that lays green eggs and she is 4 years old. Poop is green and white, looks normal.
    Any suggestions??

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  3. Buggly

Buggly In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    Sorry, I realised I posted in the wrong place and I reposted correctly. Thank you.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope the ER folks can help you and your hen. I wonder if she has heat stroke.

Buggly likes this.
  5. Buggly

Buggly In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2017
    Thank you. That was my first thought as it had been extremely hot for the UK. The rest of them seem all OK, I was aware of the damage of the hear for my girls and I tried everything I could to keep them cool. I have been feeding her flubivet for 2 days now. Right now she walked 4 steps towards the food and ate once on her own, then stopped . That is an improvement!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: