Not Eating or Drinking After Swallowing Latex Glove... Please Help

VaderRader

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2021
Hi. Our 3 months old hen Vader stopped eating and drinking almost two days ago. She had a warm little coop in the patio but recently we moved her inside the house as it got rainy and colder. We noticed a glove was missing yesterday and suspected that she had swallowed an entire latex glove and that she might have gotten an impacted crop or some digestive issue. She still had some normal-looking stool yesterday, but nothing since then.

We rushed her to the vet this morning. The vet took X-Rays on her and did not see an impacted crop or even any foreign object in her. Because of the pandemic and the new policies, we were not able to be with Vader throughout the procedures nor did we see the X-Rays. They did point out that her stomach and intestine looked flat but could not be more conclusive. The vet gave us many possible answers, such as parasite infection, Merek's, and digestive problems due to genetic defects. They did confirm there is no egg on its way yet. They then proceeded to use gavage and fluid on Vader as she did not have any feed or water in a day. After spending all day and more than $500 at the vet and getting no valid answer, our baby girl was sent home with no specific care instruction except to maintain her regular diet and drinking habit. I felt like I was ripped off and my girl did not get any proper help. I am now trying to use a syringe to feed her water and she has been very rejective.

Do any of you know what could cause this? We think she did swallow the glove although we did not see her do it. Besides that, she has been very healthy until the mysterious glove went missing. If that really is the case, will the glove eventually come out of her vent? She is still quite active right now and able to walk around without any problem. If any of your chickens had similar symptoms before, what was the solution? Thank you in advance!

Hi. Our 3 months old hen Vader stopped eating and drinking almost two days ago. She had a warm little coop in the patio but recently we moved her inside the house as it got rainy and colder. We noticed a glove was missing yesterday and suspected that she had swallowed an entire latex glove and that she might have gotten an impacted crop or some digestive issue. She still had some normal-looking stool yesterday, but nothing since then.

We rushed her to the vet this morning. The vet took X-Rays on her and did not see an impacted crop or even any foreign object in her. Because of the pandemic and the new policies, we were not able to be with Vader throughout the procedures nor did we see the X-Rays. They did point out that her stomach and intestine looked flat but could not be more conclusive. The vet gave us many possible answers, such as parasite infection, Merek's, and digestive problems due to genetic defects. They did confirm there is no egg on its way yet. They then proceeded to use gavage and fluid on Vader as she did not have any feed or water in a day. After spending all day and more than $500 at the vet and getting no valid answer, our baby girl was sent home with no specific care instruction except to maintain her regular diet and drinking habit. I felt like I was ripped off and my girl did not get any proper help. I am now trying to use a syringe to feed her water and she has been very rejective.

Do any of you know what could cause this? We think she did swallow the glove although we did not see her do it. Besides that, she has been very healthy until the mysterious glove went missing. If that really is the case, will the glove eventually come out of her vent? She is still quite active right now and able to walk around without any problem. If any of your chickens had similar symptoms before, what was the solution? Thank you in advance!
Feel her crop. Does it feel like there‘s a glove in there?
Can she see a different vet? Poor baby.
Is she a lone chicken?

Back
Top Bottom