not eating peas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stcroixusvi, Aug 14, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have been feeding our chickens Countryside Organics since we got them - 2-3 days old, and recently switched to grower feed. In the grower feed, there are small peas and none of the chickens will eat them. They can't be too large; I've seen them eat seeds and chunks of food that that are larger than the small green peas. I hate raking all the peas up that they toss as they eat. Plus, I wonder what they might be missing nutritionally without the peas. (I should add that all of them look very healthy and big for 13 weeks.

Is there a better way to handle this? Should I go back to starter until they get layer?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    My girls are turds. I recently switched them over from crumbles to pellets. They throw them all over the ground and barely eat. They all stopped laying. I guess I'm going back to crumbles. GRRRRR! Chickens are just funny sometimes. Everyone on here says watermelon is a great treat in the summer. My girls didn't touch it as far as I could tell. Brats!

3. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I know what you mean about being picky. Mine will not eat cantaloupe, although they love the seeds and flesh in the middle. It does strike me odd, though, that all 22 avoid the peas.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Mines fav. treat is green peas! but they hate strawberrys ! Go figure![​IMG]

5. chickyluvr97526

chickyluvr97526 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    I doubt they are missing anything nutritionally by not eating the peas...but it is odd that they don't eat them; my chickens have never turned up their nose at anything and we have literally fed them everything from refried beans to hamburgers; they get fruits and veggies daily and the only thing they don't fight over is raisins (which I read on here that most chickens love), ours will eat them eventually but it takes all day.

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    When my birds are wasteful I just don't give them feed them for a day so they will clean up their mess. I'm sure those peas will look mighty tasty after they realize that they won't be getting any other food that day LOL

7. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    suki'smom :

When my birds are wasteful I just don't give them feed them for a day so they will clean up their mess. I'm sure those peas will look mighty tasty after they realize that they won't be getting any other food that day LOL

Not sure I can do this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by