1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not eating pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whatdacluck, Sep 5, 2010.

1. whatdacluck

whatdacluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Hi everybody.
    When I got my hens first, all I gave them was the layers pellets. Then I started to give them some table leftovers. They were running to the door of their run as soon as they saw me and looking for food. I then gave them bread mixed with milk and mashed up, so now they don't seem to want pellets at all. Two are laying every day and I expect some of the others to lay soon as they are becoming more red around the face etc. I m now giving them no scraps or otherwise, only their pellets and maybe a head of cabbage, They don't seem to be making much of an attempt at the pellets. My theory is to starve them enough of the scraps and then if they're hungry enough they'll eat the pellets.
    Am I doing right?????

Pat:rolleyes:

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    If they get hungry enough they will eat the pellets. Don't give them treats for a bit.... too many treats, no appetite for the "real" food.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    DUDE!!! [​IMG] When I saw your Avatar I figured you must be at the wrong place. But then I read your question and relized you REALLY do raise chickens. Lose the jacket and tie for gosh sake.
    OK, now that I got that off my chest. I have the same theory as you, they can eat what they have scratched out of their feed trough on to the ground or go hungry. I fill their feed tube every week or so and they scratch it out onto the ground. Although they freerange during the day they will still come back to their scratched out feed on the ground eventually. [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Don't give in!!! You are the boss! Well, until you look at those cute little chicken faces begging for more bread.....

[​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Whoops- I forgot to say, yep- I'd make 'em eat the pellets.

6. whatdacluck

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Quote:DUDE!!!... first time for that![​IMG]

Thanks for the quick response peeps, it's just as I thought.

Pat;)

7. whatdacluck

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Yes they are eating their pelletts now, and I got 4 eggs yesterday so that's 4 out of 6. Recon it wont be long before I get the 6 out of 6

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:DUDE! According to Mr. Whatdacluck's info, he's from Contae Loch Garman (County Wexford), so he's not a dude, he's a BUACHAILL! [​IMG]

My chooks also kick all the pellets out of their feed trough; it's just the nature of these creatures, who are "wired" to scratch the earth for seeds, bugs and other goodies. When they see a tub filled with the same stuff, it may as well just be dirt or compost to them, as it's all uniform and in nature the food in the earth is never just a mass of the same thing. They look for the unusual -- the item that sticks out and looks different from the substrated. That may be why they keep scratching and kicking out the pellets.

I used to mix scratch grain with the pellets, and it just made it worse as the flock would pick and kick through the pellets to grab the choice morsels. Now I just toss a little scratch in the run early in the day, and when they've eaten it they have to go back to the pellet trough.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Mine are doing the same thing. I recently switched to pellets as they are starting to lay and they dump them all on the ground and ignore them! I was giving them mashed up wet food each day plus fruit due to the heat and I think I'm going to let them go cold turkey so they will eat the durn food! They *will* figure out they are supposed to eat the pellets, right? [​IMG]

10. saltdean norm

saltdean norm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    i was going to ask vitually the same question to Pat.

I have cut back on the leftovers being left for them. stil giving them a mixed scratch but not til late afternoon.

Have had 5 POL Hybrid birds for 10 days now, two are laying daily but the other 3 are yet to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by